ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Patting myself on the back

cravnravn

DB, Im liking this Alfie kid, WR, I want some more info on that 6'5" kid from Carolina..Its still early in the game, Im not over the AFCC Loss yet.

I know what you mean, the pain will probably not start to subside until after the Super Bowl. A Cardinals win would make that pain a long forgotten memory for me. :D I would truly be able to appreciate what we accomplished this season if the Cardinals won. I cannot stand knowing we lost to the Steelers three times this season, and they went through us to win the Super Bowl.

Who is the 6'5" kid out of Carolina? What about this guy? Sean Smith our of Utah is another big corner:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...9&genpos=CB

My Bad, 6'2" Hakeem Nicks

WR, *Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina

Another underclassmen who made headlines in a bowl game was Nicks. The Tar Heels leading receiver, who’s been debating whether or not to turn pro, may have made up his mind after the performance he had in the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Nicks was the shining star for North Carolina in their 31 – 30 defeat against West Virginia as he hauled in eight catches for 217 yards and three touchdowns. If this was Nicks’ last game in Carolina Blue, the 6-foot-1, 210-pounder should be among the top five receivers taken in the ’09 draft.

Draft Projection: Second Round

http://profootball.scout.com/2/825236.html

2nd rd projection, cant wait to see his Combine. I swore he was 6'5" I guess DB's are getting smaller? He looked huge.

I like Nicks a lot as well. He is definitely one of the most polished receivers in the draft, and should be able to contribute right away. Both Mel Kiper and Butch Davis compared Nicks to Michael Irvin. Nicks position in the draft will be heavily dependent upon his 40 time, in my opinion. If he runs anything less than a 4.5, he should be a late first rounder. Anything in the mid 4.5s and up, and he could fall.

We do need speed. Clayton and Mason are both "field smart" players--possession receivers. Having three of them on the field at the same time does a quarterback very little good.

You need speed in today's game (as long as it's coupled with skill).

Nicks is more of a Anquan Boldin/Jerricho Cotchery than a Mark Clayton/Derrick Mason. Nicks' smarts allow him to get downfield, and his size/athleticism allow him to fight for balls in the air. We do need speed, but we also need guys who understand how to get open and can bail Flacco out. Nicks has both qualities. Lets see how he runs his 40. He is certainly much less of a risk than DHB or Harvin.

That doesn't say anything about field smarts, though. I'm not saying he's a pro, but he's certainly not a concern when it comes to finding his way.

Think about how many of those bombs would have been catches if we had a receiver fast enough to get to them and good enough to catch them.

I do believe that Clayton is going to be a lot better next season. He was starting to progress at the end of the season and was really getting on the same page as Flacco. While we do need a deep threat, neither guys like Fitzgerald or Boldin are burners, but they are able to get deep. I think Nicks could be one of these guys.

Who would you guys rather have, Harvin or Nicks?

I'd absolutely prefer Nicks to Harvin. Percy is my least favorite of the bunch.

However, I'd prefer DHB to both of them, I think.

Intersting... DHB is certainly a trendy pick: size, speed, hometown kid, but I am very worried that he may turn out to be another Ashlie Lelie. He is very risky. Luckily there is another three months until the draft for us to get a better idea.

Absolutely. I'm not set in anything yet, and I doubt anyone else is, either. I keep repeating it, but every time I look at this draft, I come back to LB, too...

We'll see. DHB is definitely risky, and the Lelie comparison is more than legitimate. The combine will tell us a lot about him.

DHB is a desperate pick, yes he has size n speed, but he has the TD Taylor disease, yeah he can do the end round, but so could you and I.

How does he compare at all to Taylor?

The only reason they used him like that was because it was so successful considering how awful the Terrapins' offense was overall.

In my opinion, we need someone who can go up and grab balls, then come down with them. Nicks has extremely strong hands, and catches everything thrown to him. I just do not see that aggression with DHB. As good as Mason is, he is sometimes too small to fight for those balls across the middle. Flacco does not have a very big window to throw to with Mason/Clayton. Nicks would give Flacco a bigger target and a larger window to throw to.