ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Bill Passes to Delay Transition to Digital TV

ravinmaniac52

It's only complete bull because it doesn't affect you in anyway. It also doesn't affect you in anyway so I can't see any legitimate reason for giving 2 shits when it happens, except possibly because Dems did it so you feel you need to bash it out of well loyalty.

It doesn't affect me either way. So, because of that, I'm suddenly partisan? Give me a break.

How about the fact that it's a complete waste of congressional time? There's no presented evidence that the country isn't ready, and this delay is ONLY going to cost more money in advertisement, political cash, and the cost of maintaining the analog signal.

There is NO need for it. The fact that it was the Dimocrats who pushed it through is only bait.

It doesn't affect me either way. So, because of that, I'm suddenly partisan? Give me a break.

How about the fact that it's a complete waste of congressional time? There's no presented evidence that the country isn't ready, and this delay is ONLY going to cost more money in advertisement, political cash, and the cost of maintaining the analog signal.

There is NO need for it. The fact that it was the Dimocrats who pushed it through is only bait.

So lets save big business money over saving house holds money?

I haven't been able to get a voucher and frankly I'd rather save $40 bucks, times are tough, 40 bucks counts, esp these days. You'll figure it out.

It's your own damn fault if you couldn't get a voucher. They've been available forever now.

The cost of those too lazy to get one versus that which will be lost because of the delay isn't remotely comparable. Anyone in opposition to that is incredibly shortsighted.

They haven't been giving out vouchers for months. Money ran out, until everyone asking for a voucher can be given one why should people be punished because the GOVERNMENT FUCKED UP. I didn't fuck up, and say I had gotten mine a year a go, there would still be someone in my place who missed out. THERE IS NO FUCKING MONEY. Did they say limited supply/time vouchers? Did they?

No sense in arguing with elitist though.

It's still a waste. It's been delayed for years and years. It's just something the government has screwed up and there's no reason for it. Republicans would have done this too, just to get the popularity with those being most affected.

The inefficiency of government is everywhere. My favorite is the whole "California car" thing that Obama is expecting to allow with the EPA. Now, it's not a bad idea... allowing states to set standards for motor vehicle emissions if the EPA won't get it right. But what's stupid is that the Cali (and MD) rule is going to be a whopping THREE mpg more per new car by (are you ready?) 2015. 2015!!!

MPG has already increased by nearly double over the past five years... perhaps well more than double... and our "extra strict" and "environmentally awesome" rule is going to be to ask for 3mpg more in almost six years??? I bet the car companies, all by their lonesome, will be WELL past that standard within the next two years. So why waste our time, money, litigation, political power, favors with car companies, etc etc etc on NOTHING?!?!

No sense in arguing with elitist though.

Pardon, Coked, but I can't help but ask...

I simply don't remember you always being such a strong supporter of the guy getting beaten down by "the man"...

I mean, we all agree the situation is fucked up. But what is elitist about saying that at this point it's time to cut losses and just move forward?

We all get screwed by crap like this at times - we are all screwed by the government's incompetence. Sometimes it's because they forget to do something and suddenly my tags show up as non-registered and I get towed or ticketed. It happens it sucks.

But there are also plenty of times where it's at least partially the fault of the people being affected. I mean, I think of it kind of like when we see road signs... "Left lane closed in 3000 ft." You've got 1/2 a mile to move over and get in line. But everyone always waits - or most people do. And even if you try, you can't always get over when you want. If everything runs perfectly, awesome. But it never will. Even if you do get over, someone else is going to either be incompetent enough or selfish enough to stick it out a bit longer and a bit longer and... and... we all get screwed and pissed when that guy tries to move over last minute.

I dunno. I just don't remember you always being so "help the helpless." And now we're all "elitist" for thinking that years upon years of waiting for something like this is just another waste of money?

When on earth did I call anyone an elitist but force? If you want to join yourself in that's your own problem, but you shouldn't join fellow board members in when you do it.

I'm simply making reference to how Force speaks on this board. I'm not going try to go dredge up old post because I don't have to.

When you or I (and most here) post, while we don't always agree with everything others say I feel as though we still in a way can relate, weather we agree or not, we can at least understand the arguments made. KS many times will refuse this, when you say things like "There is NO need for it." and "Anyone in opposition to that is incredibly shortsighted." it certainly comes off to me as elitist.

So you misunderstand DC, this is not about this issue, because frankly while I agree with the decision, I could see where if it had been ruled the other way there would be valid points for there being no delay. I said I see no sense in arguing with elitist, because when a person can only see one view on matters such as this there is no sense in arguing, because they will only see it the one "right" way. Maybe elitist was the wrong word, maybe several other adjective would be better suited, though when you are that far right wing, elitist just popped into my head.

Seems it doesn't really matter anyway. WBFF and WNUV have said they are going to cut the signal on Feb. 17th, regardless of the rule change. Not really sure how that works, but hey we'll see.

Congress recently passed legislation changing the date for the termination of analog broadcasts of over-the-air television from February 17, 2009 to June 12, 2009. Although this legislation has not yet been signed into law by President Obama, the President is expected to take that action shortly. This legislation, however, does NOT mandate that television stations continue broadcasting in analog until that date, but instead allows stations to terminate such broadcasts early in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Federal Communications System (the "FCC").

For the past year, television stations, including this station, have notified viewers of the February 17, 2009 analog shutoff date through on-air announcements, informational crawls, full-length programs, and their website. As a result, in order to avoid additional confusion due to the date change and as permitted by the recently enacted legislation, this station has notified the FCC that we would like to cease analog operations on February 17, 2009, as originally planned. Whether or not we will actually terminate analog broadcasts depends upon our receiving consent to do so from the FCC. As required by the FCC, we are currently airing announcements throughout the day to inform our viewers that we will terminate analog broadcasting on effective at 11:59PM on February 17.

http://foxbaltimore.com/sections/station/dtv/index.shtml

So, essentially, the bill didn't force stations to continue broadcasting in analog, but instead is allowing them to continue until June.