ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Music to my ears....Maybe

vmax

O's fans haven't heard talk like this in years...

In late June, the Orioles are still playing meaningful games, and that means they won’t shy away from being buyers at the upcoming trade deadline, something that they haven’t considered in seven years.

“We are in contention, so we are going to do whatever we can to make the playoffs,” executive vice president Dan Duquette told reporters after the Orioles’ state of the team address for season-ticket holders.

Duquette said both to the ticket holders and later to reporters that he feels the club has players in the minors that can help the Orioles make a playoff push, but he will explore all avenues.

We’re in contention, and we need to look at all our options to help our team,” Duquette said. “We have some pretty good options in our minor-league system to bolster the team that we have here.”

When asked if he felt he had support from ownership to make a financial move to better the 2012 club, Duquette said, “Absolutely, yeah, absolutely.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-dan-duquette-we-are-going-to-do-whatever-we-can-to-make-the-playoffs-20120623,0,5177338.story

Or have we?

I can't help being skeptical. This could be double talk they way he keeps refering to the minors.

Baltimore_Orioles.png

Problem is... the more I think about this, the more I realize we don't really have any trade bait. Anything we can probably means considering Dylan Bundy if necessary by season's end. And perhaps being a buyer on a lesser name at the deadline - a Kevin Youkilis, not a Zach Greinke.

Look up the stats of our "Top 10" prospects - the Sun publishes them weekly on the O's Blog. Aside from Bundy, not one is hitting near 300... not one has a winning record or decent ERA... not one looks half decent (except Machado, but even he's having rough time coming back from injury).

Which always gets me thinking... is it just that our minor league system sucks (partially) or are we always just too gentle. Bryce Harper didn't turn many heads in the minors with his numbers - with his athleticism, sure, but not with his numbers. So why can't we just let our guys prove themselves up here if that's what it takes