ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Thank you Kevin

vmax

I know that one part of Byrne's job is to get a positive spin out, but the Ravens need somebody to bite back and Kevin does a great job at that. He also provides good stories and inside information. Well...I needed a little Ravens sunshine today....11 days from the rookies reporting. :gorave:

Check it out...

Even those of us who work at the Ravens sometimes have to be reminded that we’re “pretty good” at this time of the year. Without much news happening, media spend more time “evaluating” your team. Locally, the news of the day is usually not encouraging or optimistic. Our national exposure from various “experts” helps. The NFL Network recently completed its list of the 100 best players in the league from 2011, as voted on by the players in the middle of last season. We tied (with the 49ers and Eagles) for the most players on the list with seven. How about that? Seven of our 22 starters are considered among the best in the league as voted by the guys having to face these Ravens. Think about the math. It’s impressive. Haloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, Reed, Ray Lewis, Rice, Vonta Leach and Flacco –wow, what a group! And, how about our guys not on the list? How many teams in the league would love to have Marshal Yanda, Torrey Smith, our pair of tight ends – Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta – Pro Bowlers like Matt Birk, Brendon Ayanbadejo and Anquan Boldin, along with Bernard Pollard. Then you get to our rising stars like Jameel McClain, Michael Oher, Lardarius Webb, Terrence Cody, Cary Williams, Jimmy Smith (and I believe Jimmy is going to be big-time good). … I could go on. And, I love when I get to introduce John Harbaugh: “Here’s our historically-good head coach. In the history of the NFL, he is the only head coach ever to go to and win a playoff game in each of his first four seasons.” Certainly we have challenges and weaknesses, but, yes, we’re pretty good.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2012/07/11/byrne-identity-im-just-sayin/

Like I said somewhere else on this board..."The top 100 NFL player list, voted on by the players, has 5 Ravens in the top 22 players!

To get a perspective on what an incredible accomplishment that is, begin by being aware that there are 1,692 players.

That's 5 players in the top 1.3%.

game-11-flacco_1341558175.jpeg

From the same article he addresses the O line which all of us are worried about...

And, can I say something about the offensive line? First, I love the way Coach Harbaugh and his staff give every player invited to camp the opportunity to become a starter. When all is said and done, our five best offensive linemen will start. Unless we’re all stunned, three of those guys are going to be Yanda, Oher and Birk. But, that trio is not guaranteed. They know that. They’re driven to be the best, and I think they’ll prove it again. We’ve added Bobbie Williams, a monstrous veteran guard who always gave us fits when we played the Bengals. Ask Lewis which NFL guard got his hands on Ray more often than any he has faced in the last 10 years. AskNgata which guard gave him the most issues. Williams’ name would be in both answers. Bryant McKinnie has been challenged. He’s responding. Jah Reid is knocking on the door. Now, it’s difficult for a rookie lineman to start in the NFL, but a lot of our guys did and played very well – like Oher, Yanda, McKinnie and Williams. I can’t say too much without getting Harbs and Ozzie Newsome after me, but there’s a lot of buzz in our building about second-round pick Kelechi Osemele and fourth-rounder Gino Gradkowski. We haven’t played “real” football yet, but both Kelechi and Gino have commanded attention. Watch those two rookies in the preseason games. Believe you will like what you see. I can already sense that local media is going to focus on our O-line in the preseason. Some will call the line “the Ravens’ weakness.” I think those critics will be proven wrong.

29_OlineImprovements_news.jpg

Not during mini camp, last I checked that's what training camp is for.

Last I checked often times veterans don't need to participate until training camp and there's even a few.....dare I say it....that barely need the camp.

If Brett Favre can miss training camp and lead the Vikes to the playoffs I'm pretty sure Mini Camps are a bit overrated.

But if he doesn't blend well with the other parts what does his weight get you?

Papa please!

There is a positive side to this. Not everything is bad. Try a different perspective like:

McKinnie at 350 lbs is a good thing. He's working to improve his stamina. It shows he cares.

The reps all the other guys got at LT is a good thing. They will not get as much in training camp so it was important, valuable learning and development. The staff learned a lot about their depth and was able to spend good time teaching these guys.

The Ravens need him this year. They need him bad. That's what they found out.

It was not going to kill him to be out working in shorts and a t shirt and work with the rookie.

OK...I'll go negative...the rookie takes the wrong angle, plows into McKinnies knee and blows it out.

More eye candy for those who can't read....

100831.10.jpg