ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Matt Stover

ravinmaniac52

I've always been a Stover supporter, however he looked very shakey this year. He pulled it together towards the end, but it's obvious he doesn't quite have what he used to have. If I were the front office I would make sure he wasn't hobbled last year however before making to quick a decision. However, it does seem like it's time to part ways. This really sucks, since a reliable kicker can be very hard to comeby. Especially one that was as clutch as Stover. How many game winners did that guy kick? I'm sure he's up there for most all time.

I've always been a Stover supporter, however he looked very shakey this year. He pulled it together towards the end, but it's obvious he doesn't quite have what he used to have.

I have to disagree with you here. I think he is the same kicker he has always been, it is just Harbaugh never wanted that type of kicker.

I see Stover as a deadly accurate kicker with a weak leg, I don't remember him ever being any other way since 1996.

I think Harbaugh set Stover up this year to lay the groundwork for cutting him loose. Billick also initially wanted to cut Stover but changed his mind when he got used to how deadly a weapon he was inside the 30.

Harbaugh told Stover to attempt kicks that Harbaugh knew were outside of Stover's range (and always have been) from the first game. A lot of fans saw this and assumed Stover had lost leg strength, that is not true, the only difference is that Billick didn't ask Stover to try those longer field goals so fans never had it made plain to them just what the limit of Stover's range was.

All of a sudden, Stover's limited range is now an issue and he is in "decline". I did not see that this year, to me he looked the same as always....a deadly accurate kicker with a weak leg. Personally, I think that is a good kicker to have on a team built around defense and ball control.

This move probably foreshadows that the Ravens no longer intend to be a team built around defense and ball control.

That was possibly the most ridiculous post I've ever read.

He was asked to try only ONE kick of 50+ yards all season long, and he missed it. During his career, he has attempted, on average, field goals of 33.4 yards. In 2008, his attempted field goals were, on average, 32.3 yards. Therefore, if anything, Harbaugh had him trying FEWER field goals out of his range than he would generally attempt.

Subjectively, even his made field goals from long distance (his longest successful attempt was from 47 yards) were of the "barely there" type.

The only type of person blind enough to ignore that Stover was genuinely suffering as a dependable kicker in 2008 is someone that just wishes he still had the leg strength he used to.

That was possibly the most ridiculous post I've ever read.

He was asked to try only ONE kick of 50+ yards all season long, and he missed it. During his career, he has attempted, on average, field goals of 33.4 yards. In 2008, his attempted field goals were, on average, 32.3 yards. Therefore, if anything, Harbaugh had him trying FEWER field goals out of his range than he would generally attempt.

Subjectively, even his made field goals from long distance (his longest successful attempt was from 47 yards) were of the "barely there" type.

The only type of person blind enough to ignore that Stover was genuinely suffering as a dependable kicker in 2008 is someone that just wishes he still had the leg strength he used to.

Any idears if we say thanks to Matt, this Hauschka is probably up in the air how he turns up, late draftpick or what..?

Any idears if we say thanks to Matt, this Hauschka is probably up in the air how he turns up, late draftpick or what..?

In my opinion, Hauschka isn't the guy if Stover's gone. He's fairly inaccurate. I'm too lazy to find it, but I analyzed his stats and skill set a few months ago.

He just doesn't have "long-term kicker" in his potential, to summarize.

In my opinion, Hauschka isn't the guy if Stover's gone. He's fairly inaccurate. I'm too lazy to find it, but I analyzed his stats and skill set a few months ago.

He just doesn't have "long-term kicker" in his potential, to summarize.

Thanks. OK for now.