ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Grantland on the Game

dc.

Here's what I don't get about Bill Barnwell - he's about as inconsistent in his reasoning as, well, anyone...

I don't disagree with many of his points individually; I just don't think they add up all the time.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8852574/bill-barnwell-patriots-ravens-playoff-matchup

In one paragraph he's talking about the Ravens secondary. He's not really saying it's a problem, but he's saying that Corey Graham is no Lardarius Webb (I don't disagree) and that with a bunch of spare parts, the secondary has its hands full with the Pats passing attack - especially Welker. (Again, nothing huge to disagree with here)

In the next paragraph he's talking about the Patriots secondary. And after spending an eternity telling us how their secondary has seen even MORE turnover in the last 12 months and even 6 months than the Ravens... it will all be okay. There are no concerns, really, even though the entire defensive backfield is made up of the same kinds of scrubs and spare parts elsewhere. And it's the Ravens who are at a disadvantage having never seen this particular secondary before.

Here's what I think he really missed though - and again, not a disagreement, but just ignored. He didn't talk much at all about the Ravens pass rush against Brady which has historically been pretty decent. And given that Suggs was out the last time we played 'em, I think it's certainly a discussion worth having.

The Patriots seem to constantly be overhauling their secondary, so it's no surprise that they continued to do so in 2012. The only difference seems to be that they've actually stumbled upon an effective unit this time.

I can't read any more of this drivel after reading the above. The Pats have the 29th ranked passing defense.

They have given up 27 passing TD's to the Ravens 13.

They suck.

Here's what I think he really missed though - and again, not a disagreement, but just ignored. He didn't talk much at all about the Ravens pass rush against Brady which has historically been pretty decent. And given that Suggs was out the last time we played 'em, I think it's certainly a discussion worth having.

I would say Suggs is banged up and won't have the impact he has had in the past, but then he pops up with 2 sacks and what should have been a FF last week. I hope he has something left in the tank for Brady. Knowing how Suggs feels about TB I would think he'll bring as close to an A game as he can muster for this.

His presence alone makes a difference, I'd argue. We always discuss how his presence isn't just felt on the rush, but also in run defense. The OL adjusts to his presence, which no doubt helps out Kruger and just about everyone else on the D.

His presence alone makes a difference, I'd argue. We always discuss how his presence isn't just felt on the rush, but also in run defense. The OL adjusts to his presence, which no doubt helps out Kruger and just about everyone else on the D.

This backs up everthing that you are saying dc...

When the Patriots visited the Ravens during Week Three, the line allowed two sacks of Brady, with 1.5 of them coming from inside linebacker Dannell Ellerbe.

At that point, the Ravens were working with youngsters Albert McClellan and Courtney Upshaw on the edges, with Kruger still in a reserve role and Suggs rehabilitating his Achilles tendon injury. The pair combined for five tackles, one for a loss, and no hits on the quarterback.

This time around, that's sure to change because of Suggs' gradual return to full fitness after his surgery and Kruger's seemingly unstoppable hot streak.

Suggs had perhaps his best game of the year during the Divisional Playoff win at Denver with 10 solo tackles and two sacks of nearly unsackable quarterback Peyton Manning. Kruger had three stops and a fumble recovery, which set up a touchdown.

"That's just Terrell Suggs," teammate Haloti Ngata said. "He was able to put some pressure on [Manning] on the edge. I just don't feel comfortable without him out there."