ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

One Winning Drive: Bengals 17, Ravens 14: Blame Game

ExtremeRavens

ef034328-751e-4a44-9fcf-7fa196336288.jpg

Stupid Penalties: 40%

Second straight week the Ravens can thank themselves and their absolute lack of discipline for their problems. The officials were not good, but that’s not an excuse. The Ravens apparently didn’t learn anything from last week’s game in New England. I’m still a bit baffled by Steve Tasker’s relentless defense of the officiating - the Frank Walker pass interference and Chad Ochocinco lack of interference calls were particularly questionable, and Tasker failed to even acknowledge the possibility. Meanwhile, the Ravens gave away first downs and yards, play after play. [is defensive illegal formation even a penalty, by the way?]

Stupid Players: 30%

Missed tackles. Missed coverages. Leaving holes wide open. Dropping passes. There are no excuses for the Ravens pathetic play today. As much as players and fans may want to be upset at the officials,  the Ravens came to the game today with no emotion and no heart. Half the game, I wasn’t even sure the defense wanted to be there - the secondary was consistently out of position and failed to find the ball while the front seven struggled to find their zones.

Stupid Gameplan: 20%

Noticing a trend yet? This whole game was stupid by the Ravens. I’m not sure what Cam Cameron’s offensive game plan was today. It’s become more and more clear to me that the offense simply does not have a steady game plan. In early games we dismissed the funky offensive style as “taking advantage of weak opponents,” but in two straight losses to good teams, there has been no “settling” of the gameplan. There were stretches where the Ravens looked far too conservative. At other times the Ravens looked far too aggressive. At no point did the Ravens offense look like the force it had been for the season’s first four weeks.

(Stupid) Disappearing Players: 9%

Derrick Mason. Willis McGahee. Kelley Washington. Terrell Suggs. Kelly Gregg. Fabian Washington. Le’Ron McClain. Were any of these guys even on the field today? Did McGahee even get a touch? Did Mason? Washington and McClain each had a moment or two… but I don’t even remember seeing Washington on the field more than two or three times.

Stupid Steve Tasker: 1%

Okay, so maybe he had nothing to do with the Ravens losing, but he certainly had a lot to do with me not enjoying the game. Gus Johnson is bad. Steve Tasker is just dreadful. I’m not sure how, but he’s actually gotten worse since the Ravens earlier games. Do they even show up before Sunday?

View the full article

The penalties bothered me, and the lack of a call on Ochocinco on the final drive really bothers me (how Tasker can see the replay on that play and defend the non-call yet agree with ones far less obvious baffles me), but the Ravens played pretty poorly today. Particularly the offense. If Ray Rice doesn't make that tremendous play, I wonder whether the offense scores at all today.

The penalties bothered me, and the lack of a call on Ochocinco on the final drive really bothers me (how Tasker can see the replay on that play and defend the non-call yet agree with ones far less obvious baffles me), but the Ravens played pretty poorly today. Particularly the offense. If Ray Rice doesn't make that tremendous play, I wonder whether the offense scores at all today.

Maybe the Ravens offense played as well as they could against a vastly improved Cincinnati defense. I'm going with that.

I think the answer is simple... if Rice doesn't make that play, this offense doesn't score. No doubt.

Last year we succeeded by holding the ball for long periods of time late in games, minimizing opponent's opportunities... no today. Not often this year.

Maybe the Ravens offense played as well as they could against a vastly improved Cincinnati defense. I'm going with that.

That could be it too, I dont mean to discount the Bengal's effort at all - I hope it didnt seem like I was. Its just from the standpoint of what went wrong, for whatever reason, the Ravens offense played poorly.

Might be the best we could play against you today... but not the best we could play against you guys, period. The Ravens looked confused and bored on both sides of the ball. The playcalling was weird, inconsistent. And the pressure from the Bengals did not look so great as to be ruining every last play... I think we just weren't making some plays.

Just forgot to add... what part of this Bengals defense was so great before today, aside from the pass rush? 17th in total defense coming into this game.

Just forgot to add... what part of this Bengals defense was so great before today, aside from the pass rush? 17th in total defense coming into this game.

Well, I'm going to say they did enough to put the offense in position to win the game. As Cincinnati fans we're used to much less than that.

I blame the coaching staff.

Mattison cannot find ways to pressure QB's...his secondary breaks down.

Cam dialed all the wrong plays today. His gameplan was poor with no in game adjuistment.

Harbaugh's players were undisciplined...the penalties showed that....and the team as a whole was not fast and they were not physical....well...a couple of guys showed up.

I blame the coaching staff.

Mattison cannot find ways to pressure QB's...his secondary breaks down.

Cam dialed all the wrong plays today. His gameplan was poor with no in game adjuistment.

Harbaugh's players were undisciplined...the penalties showed that....and the team as a whole was not fast and they were not physical....well...a couple of guys showed up.

The other teams are making adjustments that neutralize what the Ravens Do/Did. If the Ravens cannot make adjustments to counteract this fact then they are done. The coordinators and the coach better be up for the challange. Provided the players are their that can and Will make the adjustments.