ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens exercise 2015 option on Jimmy Smith

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/17/ravens-exercise-2015-option-on-jimmy-smith/

The Ravens have indeed exercised their right to keep cornerback Jimmy Smith under contract through 2015.

According to Field Yates of ESPN.com, the Ravenshave picked up the fifth-year option on Smith, their 2011 first-round pick. Smith is now slated to make$6.898 million in 2015, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun.

In March, Ravens coach John Harbaugh indicated the team would be picking up Smith’s option.

The 25-year-old Smith started all 16 games for Baltimore in 2013, defending 15 passes, recording two interceptions and notching 58 tackles. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Smith has ideal size for the position and seems likely to sign a lucrative multi-year contract at some point, given his skill and the demand for cornerbacks.

The Ravens took Smith 27th overall in 2011. They held the No. 26 pick, but time ran out on the pick after a trade with the Bears fell through. (Then-Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo took responsibility for the mishap.) The Chiefs, who had the 27th pick, took receiver Jonathan Baldwin at No. 26.

I'm feeling good about the secondary this year. Webb a full year into recovery, Smith hitting his prime. I like Chyke and Asa in the 3rd CB spot, even if they look bad in the preseason you can a nickle CB somewhere. We know they'll go somewhere to get a FS whether its the first or second round.

I'm feeling good about the secondary this year. Webb a full year into recovery, Smith hitting his prime. I like Chyke and Asa in the 3rd CB spot, even if they look bad in the preseason you can a nickle CB somewhere. We know they'll go somewhere to get a FS whether its the first or second round.

Feeling good about them too. I'll feel great if they come up with the right safety combo.