ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Steelers in Decline

vmax

Don Banks nails it....

With the NFL world fixated Monday night on the fascinating debut of Chip Kelly's fast-break football and the new-look Philadelphia Eagles, it was easy to overlook the juxtaposition of the sad saga that's unfolding for the proud, fabled franchise on the other side of the Keystone State.

As in, whatever happened to the Pittsburgh Steelers?

Other than Jacksonville, where the bar of expectation was set about as low as it can go, no NFL team in Week 1 underachieved more glaringly than the Steelers, whose 16-9 loss to visiting Tennessee was a sobering dose of what might be the new reality in Pittsburgh. These Steelers simply aren't very good, and the season-opening egg-laying against the underdog Titans might well portend things to come rather than emerge as a one-week aberration.

.... the signs in Pittsburgh are not promising, and the recent results are cause for legitimate alarm. Head coach Mike Tomlin's never-flinch resolve aside, this is an underachieving Steelers team showing its age in spots and it has more holes than any time in recent memory. With Roethlisberger's game suddenly not the reliable rock upon which everything else is built on offense, Pittsburgh looks vulnerable and already faces a critical checkpoint in Week 2.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130910/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers/#ixzz2eWk4xrM1

While I'm not excited about this team it was one game and the Steelers have historically played down to their competition. There are some bright spots. Troy looks like troy again big mac was eating two blockers and still getting pressure and tackles and Jones looks to be the real deal. The oline is their biggest weakness and their biggest weakness when it comes to the draft. That is what worries me the most since colbert took over he has hit on a number of positions but really has only hit on one lineman so far in Pouncey. Decastro shows some promise but I think Pouncey needs to be moved to guard next year. I have some hope of them turning it around but it is small. Monday will be a telling game but still no miller or bell so that sucks.