ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

This is why they didn't cut him

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/05/asa-jackson-reinstated-from-suspended-list/

Asa Jackson reinstated from suspended list

A second violation of the league’s performance-enhancing drugs policy earned Baltimore Ravens cornerback Asa Jackson an eight-game suspension.

According to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun, Jackson has now completed that suspension and is eligible to return to practice with the Ravens this week. The Ravens have been granted a one-week roster exemption for Jackson through next Monday.

Jackson said in August that he had been diagnosed with a condition that allowed him to be treated with a medication on the banned substances list via a therapeutic use exemption. However, Jackson said that a team doctor never filed the paperwork with the league and he tested positive again without the exemption in place.

Jackson could fill the roster spot vacated by the placing of guard Kelechi Osemele on injured reserve. Jackson appeared in three games for the Ravens in 2012 and recorded one tackle. Jackson did return a punt for a 78-yard touchdown against the Atlanta Falcons in the preseason.

I was saying that it could be aderal or something like that. Some were thinking roids or weed. I really think the league should say what the drug is so the speculation doesn't run rampant. If the Dr forgot to put in the paper work he should reimburse Asa for lost wages.

They can't do that. HIPAA. I'm not sure how they get away with disclosing injuries and what not, but stating what kind of medication a person is taking is probably crossing the line.

I would think they have a Hippa exemption. I was reading an article this weakend about how NCAA has exemptions for schools to inform profs and others within the school. The issue was with guys who have their ankles taped around their cleats (aparently it is called spatting). With the schools getting money from shoe manufacturer there are stipulations about spatting. The school will send doctors letters to Nike to say this player needs taping. According to the contracts they saw there is nothing in the exemptions allowing for this and now that it has come out I would expect players to add that to the suits against the NCAA.

Informing folks is one thing, but disclosing the reason for it is something else entirely. For instance, I can disclose to an HR rep about a diagnosis that would affect my performance. The person could then talk to my supervisor, but is not allowed to disclose the nature of the illness.

Yeah I get that. Some colleges have team doctors give notes saying what injury the player has so the shoe company like Nike will say OK you can tape his ankle. Basically the shoe campany has a veto in their pocket to stop medical treatment. The article said also that one reason UA has their logo on the toe is because of this. They never have their logo taped over.

The league contract could have allowances for the league to say what drug a player tests positive for.