ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens plan to use Dennis Pitta in a variety of ways

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/09/ravens-plan-to-use-dennis-pitta-in-a-variety-of-ways/

The Ravens and tight end Dennis Pitta have already agreed on a contract extension, so there’s no chance of a franchise tag squabble like the one that the Saints and Jimmy Graham have been engaged in this offseason.

That squabble has been focused on where Graham lines up on offense and whether or not he fits the textbook definition of a tight end, something that could also be up for discussion in regard to Pitta when the 2014 season comes to an end. Pitta has been lining up all over the offense, from the backfield to split wide, in offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak’s scheme and he expects to do even more moving around the formation as things unfold.

“I have done a lot of different things in this offense already,” Pitta said, via theBaltimore Sun. “I would assume that would continue to increase, but I’m trying to get down the basics still right now and trying to be effective at some of our basic plays, and hopefully, I can get in a position where I can play a variety of positions.”

Kubiak’s offenses in Houston made frequent use of multiple tight ends and Owen Daniels has joined the Ravens this offseason in a move that signals more of the same in Baltimore this season. Daniels’ familiarity with the scheme should allow Kubiak to deploy both tight ends creatively alongside Torrey Smith and Steve Smith in an offense with more passing options than they had last season.