ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens hire Dean Pees as linebacker coach

ravinmaniac52

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/01/report_ravens_hire_dean_pees_as_linebacker_coach.html

Pees, 60, had been the Patriots defensive coordinator for the past four seasons. He chose not to return to New England on Jan. 14 after his contract expired.

It is unknown what this addition means for Vic Fangio, who coached the Ravens' linebackers for the past two seasons.

Before becoming defensive coordinator for New England, Pees coached the Patriots' linebackers in 2004 and 2005. He was the head coach at Kent State from 1998 to 2003.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/01/report_ravens_hire_dean_pees_as_linebacker_coach.html

Pees, 60, had been the Patriots defensive coordinator for the past four seasons. He chose not to return to New England on Jan. 14 after his contract expired.

It is unknown what this addition means for Vic Fangio, who coached the Ravens' linebackers for the past two seasons.

Before becoming defensive coordinator for New England, Pees coached the Patriots' linebackers in 2004 and 2005. He was the head coach at Kent State from 1998 to 2003.

Someone who is an insider over on the Orioles Hangout Ravens board claims that Fangio does not get along well with the players and wants out. I think I had read somewhere before that Fangio is not much of a player's coach, which is why Billick kept him as a consultant up in the booth when he hired him and why Harbaugh didn't really consider Fangio for the DC job.

Someone who is an insider over on the Orioles Hangout Ravens board claims that Fangio does not get along well with the players and wants out. I think I had read somewhere before that Fangio is not much of a player's coach, which is why Billick kept him as a consultant up in the booth when he hired him and why Harbaugh didn't really consider Fangio for the DC job.

Fangios unit was what I believe our best and most talented, and it was developing from game one to the end of the season, despite no Bart and injuries to Ayanbadeyo, Suggs, JJ and Gooden. And one more thing, in previous years we have had both a LB coach and a OLB coach.. Mattison and Pettine in 2008, not Fangio who was a ass. coach to Harbs, this year we only had Fangio.

We have to see what will happend with Fangio, however I would like us to keep him in some sort of role, maybe as a consulent like before. Fangio has much more experience in NFL than our HC, Mattison and Pees and is obviuosly much younger than the old men Mattison and Pees.

And I am not really liking the fact that Mattison and Pees is some kind of mentors to our HC, one is okay two is odd.

Here's a more in depth article on Pees...I like the hire.

New Ravens linebackers Coach Dean Pees had a feeling there may be some interested parties when he chose not to extend his four-year stay as New England’s defensive coordinator.

Well, there were more than he anticipated.

Pees said he heard from “a lot” of teams around the league, and one even offered him a defensive coordinator position. He was rumored to be in the hunt for Denver’s vacant coordinator position. But in the end, Pees chose Baltimore – as a linebackers coach.

“It’s because of the franchise and the people here,” Pees said Thursday evening while settling into his new office in Owings Mills.

“I had a lot of opportunities when I decided not to renew my contract with the Patriots. What I really want to do is have a chance to win and be around people that I really want to work with and for. I think this is one of the best, if not the best organizations in the league.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2010/01/Pees_Lands_in_Owings_Mills.aspx

Between the lines...it sounds like he had enough of Bellichek. It also confirms what a great job the Ravens are doing toward becomming a well respected and 'Elite" organization.