ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Eagles make Weaver NFL's top-paid FB

thundercleetz

Report: Eagles, Weaver reach agreement

Restricted free agent fullback Leonard Weaver has agreed to a three-year contract worth $11 million ($6.5 guaranteed), according to Jeff McLane of the Inquirer. This would apparently make Weaver the highest-paid fullback in league history, according to a league source.

The Eagles had placed a second-round tender on Weaver, but his agent said Thursday evening the two sides were close to an agreement. Weaver was an All-Pro in '09 and he gives the Eagles versatility at running back because of his ability to carry the ball eight or nine times a game.

OK, now we can return to obsessing about the quarterback situation.

Weaver and McClain are both very similar players. Both guys were in the Pro Bowl this year for their respective conference, both guys have an All-Pro honor under their belts, and both guys are big (6' 250-260), powerful, blocking backs that are shifty enough to run the ball and agile enough to catch the ball. The stats this past season were similar as well:

Weaver:

70 ATT 323 YDS 4.6 YPA 2 TD

15 REC 140 YDS 9.3 YPC 2 TD

McClain:

46 ATT 180 YDS 3.9 YPA 2 TD

21 REC 141 YDS 6.7 YPC 0 TD

McClain is two-years younger than Weaver and has a more credentials (Le'Ron's 2008 season), so he might command a little more. But if I am Ozzie, I top this offer that the Eagles gave Weaver and make Le'Ron the highest paid FB in NFL history. How about 4-years, $16 million, roughly $8 million guaranteed? It is an uncapped year, so we might as well take care of our own guys being we do not have to worry about allocation of where we spend our money.

Philly screwed up the system as did Indy did when they gave Freeney QB money..Someone is going to dangle a big carrot in front of L-Train, and it probably wont be us..Didnt we lose a FB afew years ago to Atlanta, and at the time he was the highest paid FB in the NFL??(brain fart)

Philly screwed up the system as did Indy did when they gave Freeney QB money..Someone is going to dangle a big carrot in front of L-Train, and it probably wont be us..Didnt we lose a FB afew years ago to Atlanta, and at the time he was the highest paid FB in the NFL??(brain fart)

ovie mughelli. Yes was thinkg the same thing. ATL over paid the hell outta him and I havent seen a highlight of him on TV yet. IMO, Mcclain is a starting RB in this league. But the only way to showcase his talent and get your moneys worth is to give him the touches which is tough with RIce,Mcgahee. If I was SD I'd be trying to get Mcclain right now