ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Flacco-Rasta

Tornado700

Jimmy's rookie deal ended last yr. With the new CBA they had the right to get a 5th yr RFA on players before the deal was done. He will be a 1st round tender this yr. I would ink him long-term ASAP. His value has gotten out of control with this injury. I would have inked him before 2014 to avoid this cost they will incur now.

Jimmy's rookie deal ended last yr. With the new CBA they had the right to get a 5th yr RFA on players before the deal was done. He will be a 1st round tender this yr. I would ink him long-term ASAP. His value has gotten out of control with this injury. I would have inked him before 2014 to avoid this cost they will incur now.

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. By "last year" do you mean the year we are currently in?

I never, ever want the Ravens to sign a player long-term 2 years before they have to. Simply not good business. We got burned with Webb and that was only one year prior.

Players will take a discount to get the guaranteed money sooner rather than later, but it's not a huge discount. On the flip side of that is the risk teams take, which is why I bring up Webb. We are playing elite CB money to a player that's basically 65-75% of what he was before his 2012 ACL injury.

Actually right now Webby is playing really well. His back is finally healed up. He had been hurt during the bad playing when he came back.

But yess it is a risk. That is why I would look at who you pay and who you don't. Nobody who is a headcase like Cmac. Nobody who has chronic injuries. Then you have to look at position and future need. But there is always risk in signing or drafting players.