ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Browns sign Delhomme to a 2 year deal.

BengalBilly

I think Cleveland just got an upgrade at QB.

Browns, Delhomme agree to 2-year deal

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer

CLEVELAND (AP)—Jake Delhomme(notes) has a new NFL home, and the Cleveland Browns have another new quarterback.Delhomme, released last week by the Carolina Panthers, has agreed to terms on a two-year deal with the Browns, whose quarterback position has been nothing short of a merry-go-round of players since the club returned as an expansion team 11 years ago.Delhomme’s agent, Rick Smith, said the 35-year-old QB would sign his contract before the club’s off-season conditioning program begins. Smith refused to comment beyond saying Delhomme would be resuming his career in Cleveland.A team spokesman said the Browns have no announcements planned.

Cleveland has been busy trying to resolve a troublesome position. Earlier this week, the Browns acquired backup Seneca Wallace(notes) and released Derek Anderson(notes), a one-time Pro Bowl selection who has struggled in the past two seasons.Delhomme is expected to compete for Cleveland’s starting job with Brady Quinn(notes), who has yet to receive any endorsement from the club’s new front office.

Delhomme visited the Browns on Thursday but left without a deal. He had scheduled a meeting with the New Orleans Saints, his hometown team, but canceled that trip after working out the principles of a deal with the Browns.Since 1999, the Browns have had eight different opening-week quarterbacks.Delhomme is coming off his worst season as a pro. He threw 18 interceptions and the Panthers decided to cut him despite still owing him more than $12 million. Delhomme went 58-40 as a starter with Carolina, leading the franchise to its lone Super Bowl appearance to end the 2003 season.

Upgrade? I'll take my chances with the Brownies lining up a QB who had 18 INTs in 11 games, despite having an awesome run game and Steve Smith to throw to.

I didn't say it was a great upgrade, but I believe he's better than Quinn.

Wallace/Delhomme is no better than Anderson/Quinn.

Holmgin isn't an idiot....they will be drafting a QB...probably in the 1st round because they can't win with what they have at QB.

Can't.

Wallace/Delhomme is no better than Anderson/Quinn.

Holmgin isn't an idiot....they will be drafting a QB...probably in the 1st round because they can't win with what they have at QB.

Can't.

Maybe you cannot win with them, but can you play with them? Can you coach with them? Can you do it?

Maybe you cannot win with them, but can you play with them? Can you coach with them? Can you do it?

Sure you can. You can play and coach with Rosey O'Donnell at QB....but you can't win. :)

lol!

Look at how Delhomme cashed out even though he stunk it up...

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter first reported the deal, and a source told Schefter that Delhomme is scheduled to make $7 million this season, including just under $900,000 in base salary. With $12.7 million from Carolina, Delhomme will make $19.7 million in 2010.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4992744

New update!

Brady Quinn has a new home.

The Cleveland Browns have traded their former starting quarterback to the Denver Broncos, FOXSports.com has learned.In return, the Browns will receive running back Peyton Hillis and two conditional draft picks.

The move comes one day after the Browns signed free agent QB Jake Delhomme to a two-year deal and less than a week after the team traded for Seneca Wallace.

Quinn, the 22nd overall select ion in the 2007 NFL Draft, played in just 10 games for the Browns in 2009, completing 52.2 percent of his passes while throwing for eight touchdowns and seven interceptions.

I've never seen an NFL team swap QB's like they were hubcaps at a flea market!

New update!

I've never seen an NFL team swap QB's like they were hubcaps at a flea market!

They swap hubcaps at the flea market?

And yeah, this is pretty crazy. Now add Denver to the list of teams that have no idea what they're doing at QB next season...

Fully disagree. Orton is the starter. Quinn is the capable (?) backup.

Maybe at the beginning of the season, but Orton's job certainly isn't safe over there. Most likely, Josh McDaniels is hoping that Quinn will turn out more like the other Brady that he coached in New England. I doubt they're looking at him as just a 'capable backup'.

Maybe at the beginning of the season, but Orton's job certainly isn't safe over there. Most likely, Josh McDaniels is hoping that Quinn will turn out more like the other Brady that he coached in New England. I doubt they're looking at him as just a 'capable backup'.

Orton will be the starter in 2010. He makes nearly three million bucks this season, while Quinn will make $700k. If Quinn takes 70% of the snaps, he'll unlock $5.9 million in escalators.

Not to mention that Orton was one of the most efficient passers of last season.