ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

HOF'ers in this game

Preacher

Upon reading an article concerning Troy P. and Ed Reed, I started wondering: How many potential HOF'ers are actually in this game Saturday?

I can think of quite a few potential HOF'ers. If they continue on the path they are on now, I think this is our list:

Probable:

Ben Roethlisberger: On track to be the all time passer in Steelers history. 8th all timein passer rating, 17th all time in career yards per game (on a run-first team for all but the last 3 years), tied for 4th in career passing yards per attempt, 7-1 with 2 SB rings, and he has only played for 6 years.

Troy P. Enough said (kinda like Ed. Matter of fact, it'd be nice if Ed could play another 5-6 years, and then see troy and ed go into the HOF as 1st ballot HOFer's together.

Hines W. I know, I know, he is hated over where you all are. However, He is 8th in all time receptions, tied with Randy Moss and within 102 receptions of 4th place (two more years at the pace of this year), 21st in receiving yards, 19th in TD's, and all of that on a team that was run first for 2/3rds of his career.

Possible:

Harrison: The biggest question here, is did he get too late of a start for his career? He has only truly been active for the last 4 years. Will that be enough?

Probably should be, but probably won't do to position/scheme:

Big Snack (Hampton): probably the best 3-4 nose tackle in the game today. Won't get in because his job is to fill the gap, not get sacks.

Aaron Smith: Same as above (3-4 DE)

Too Early to Tell:

Woodley: Absolute stud, but he needs to show consistency throughout his career.

Timmons: If he keeps playing like he did this year, wow.

Wallace: Same as Timmons. This kid is just special

I don't know the Ravens THAT well, but there are a few that pop out (I am sure you all can fill in the list for me).

Ray Lewis

Ed Reed

Suggs?

Ngata (probably the same as Hampton)

who else?

Still, that is 5 (maybe 6) probable HOF'ers in this game alone. Its no wonder these games always go to the wire.

I am with you Force.

Ben has his rings especially the 2008 ring was a beauty but he needs some PBs, at least 4-5, at least 2-3 seasons of Manning/Brady caliber and probably also needs to get some control over his life.

Suggs, Ngata, Boldin, Harrison and Polamalu needs more, they probably will be in the neighboorhood.

Mason and Hampton great players but not the glamour needed.

Woodley, Timmons, Wallace, Flacco and Rice.. Too early.

I disagree with you about Troy.

If he continues to play like he is now, the question is whether he is a first ballot HOF or not, not whether he is a HOF or not.

Ben has the career arc to put him in the HOF no problem. He simply needs to continue to play at this level.

Aaron Smith- Like I said, he won't make it, but that isn't because of his lack of talent. Its because 3/4 DE's do not get recognition. Their job is not sacks or even a lot of tackles in run support. Its to control gaps. Help the NT control the A gap, and also take up the Guards/tackles (both if possible) to open holes for the LB's to come in and fill the gaps to stop the run. Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton are two of the best at that position that have ever played the game... FOR THE 3-4 SCHEME. Even more specifically, for a 3-4 Zone blitz (or fire blitz) scheme.

As far as Ngata, Flacco, Wallace, Timmons, etc., definitely too early for any of them. BUt I do think they all have actually SHOWN potential to end up there.

All that said, my main point is this game. How much of a treat it is to watch all these guys on the same field. I have a feeling, in 20 years, we will be talking about the days we saw these games, in the same way Steeler and Raiders fans talk about the 70's games.

I disagree with you about Troy.

If he continues to play like he is now, the question is whether he is a first ballot HOF or not, not whether he is a HOF or not.

Ben has the career arc to put him in the HOF no problem. He simply needs to continue to play at this level.

Aaron Smith- Like I said, he won't make it, but that isn't because of his lack of talent. Its because 3/4 DE's do not get recognition. Their job is not sacks or even a lot of tackles in run support. Its to control gaps. Help the NT control the A gap, and also take up the Guards/tackles (both if possible) to open holes for the LB's to come in and fill the gaps to stop the run. Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton are two of the best at that position that have ever played the game... FOR THE 3-4 SCHEME. Even more specifically, for a 3-4 Zone blitz (or fire blitz) scheme.

As far as Ngata, Flacco, Wallace, Timmons, etc., definitely too early for any of them. BUt I do think they all have actually SHOWN potential to end up there.

All that said, my main point is this game. How much of a treat it is to watch all these guys on the same field. I have a feeling, in 20 years, we will be talking about the days we saw these games, in the same way Steeler and Raiders fans talk about the 70's games.

:thumbup:

Aaron Smith, Hampton rigth on and so does Buddy Lee (Kelly Gregg)!