ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Receivers amoung slowest in NFL

vmax

According to Michael Lombardi...and "Martian Man" Clayton...

When giving his opinion on some of the AFC North receivers, NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi didn’t mince words. The former NFL executive declared the Ravens’ outside receivers as some of the slowest in the NFL.

"I think Baltimore desperately needs an outside-of-the-numbers wide receiver. They might be one of the slowest teams in the league outside," said Lombardi at the NFL Scouting Combine.

...ESPN’s John Clayton shared a similar opinion. “The Professor” feels quarterback Joe Flacco received unfair criticism because he had limited options in the receiving game at times this season.

“There is no speed at the wide receiver position in certain matchups,” said Clayton. “When they match up against teams that [use] man press with their cornerbacks, then there’s a big problem. You saw it in the Cincinnati game, the Kansas City game, the Jets game. All of a sudden, he’s standing back there patting the ball waiting for Todd Heap to get open and for Ray Rice to get into some sort of a checkdown position. There are only a couple of options when that happens.

“There are only three to five matchups a year currently like that, but something has to be added at receiver.”

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/02/25/late-for-work-225-lombardi-ravens-have-slowest-wrs-in-nfl/

Another reason why Flacco holds onto the ball too long.

I was blown away during the post season to see that pick. The one and only pick used the whole season.

Haha Preston said something along the lines of the Steelers were just as blown away as we were to see the Ravens use a pic play.

Anyways in relation to the topic, 11 receivers ran an official 40YD time of less than a 4.5. Obviously straight line speed isn't everything (see Yamon Figurs) but we need to grab some of this speed out there.

The ones I like:

Julio Jones I have seen 1 or 2 mocks with him making it to Bmore. I doubt he is there though. True beast.

Torrey Smith I like him but not at 26. Starting about 10 picks later he is a great pick.

Titus Young This kid will be great but only starting as a 2nd rounder.

Leonard Hankerson in the 2nd he would be a solid pick. He can stretch the field some.

Jerrel Jernigan I see as a high 3rd. He works the middle very well. He doesn't go down easily. He is pretty fast too.

Terrance Toliver As a late pick I love his frame. Not easy to get down.

Cecil Shorts He is Div 3. He looks like a stud among scrubs. He has staggering stats but again Div 3.

Ronald Johnson Disappointing results at USC. Has the tool though. As a late pick and some time learning could be a steal.

Edmund Gates He is a speed demon. He is faster than everyone he was playing with in school. Can he break through a jam.

Denarius Moore He is pretty fast and big.

DeAndre Brown Late sleeper. I like what he can do.

Derrell Johnson-Koulianos Could be a solid late round sleeper.

Guys I like but I don't think fit the holes the Ravens have.

Tandon Doss I am not sure how fast he is. He reminds me of Randal El.

Jonathan Baldwin I like him but he is a Quan clone. He would be perfect in about 2 yrs.

Greg Little Very much like Baldwin.

Austin Pettis Another one like Baldwin.

Dwayne Harris A bigger Mason.

The ones I like:

Julio Jones I have seen 1 or 2 mocks with him making it to Bmore. I doubt he is there though. True beast.

Torrey Smith I like him but not at 26. Starting about 10 picks later he is a great pick.

Titus Young This kid will be great but only starting as a 2nd rounder.

Leonard Hankerson in the 2nd he would be a solid pick. He can stretch the field some.

Jerrel Jernigan I see as a high 3rd. He works the middle very well. He doesn't go down easily. He is pretty fast too.

Terrance Toliver As a late pick I love his frame. Not easy to get down.

Cecil Shorts He is Div 3. He looks like a stud among scrubs. He has staggering stats but again Div 3.

Ronald Johnson Disappointing results at USC. Has the tool though. As a late pick and some time learning could be a steal.

Edmund Gates He is a speed demon. He is faster than everyone he was playing with in school. Can he break through a jam.

Denarius Moore He is pretty fast and big.

DeAndre Brown Late sleeper. I like what he can do.

Derrell Johnson-Koulianos Could be a solid late round sleeper.

Guys I like but I don't think fit the holes the Ravens have.

Tandon Doss I am not sure how fast he is. He reminds me of Randal El.

Jonathan Baldwin I like him but he is a Quan clone. He would be perfect in about 2 yrs.

Greg Little Very much like Baldwin.

Austin Pettis Another one like Baldwin.

Dwayne Harris A bigger Mason.

I agree with you, unless Jones is there for us I don't see any receiver worth taking in round 1. I think the value at offensive line is going to be there (I think Pouncey would be a very solid pick for us). I also like UCLA safety Raheem Moore a lot, I think he could be a sleeper pick for us. We could be looking wide receiver in round 2, especially if a guy like Hankerson, Baldwin, or Young is there.

I am not impressed with Pouncey. He has shown he is not the greatest of OC's. We don't need a guard which is where he should excel. Stefen Wisniewski is the stud OC with Kristofer O’Dowd a strong #2. They both can be had in the 3rd so that is how I would think.

I agree with your assesment with Jones. If he is there fix your WR corps for a change.

If he is not there I think pass rush or CB are a must. There are endless pass rushers to be had in this draft. Harris, Williams, or Smith will be at 26. I like all of them.

I am not impressed with Pouncey. He has shown he is not the greatest of OC's. We don't need a guard which is where he should excel. Stefen Wisniewski is the stud OC with Kristofer O’Dowd a strong #2. They both can be had in the 3rd so that is how I would think.

I agree with your assesment with Jones. If he is there fix your WR corps for a change.

If he is not there I think pass rush or CB are a must. There are endless pass rushers to be had in this draft. Harris, Williams, or Smith will be at 26. I like all of them.

Sounds like a plan! What do you think of Moore though? I love his ballhawking skills.