ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The David Reed Show

vmax

Somebody had to bail out Tyrod Tayor.

What I could see at the stadium, that you can't see on TV, is that when Tayor was running around looking lost and pressured, it was because his receivers were not getting open. He had nobody to throw too.

Then Reed gets in the game and drops the first pass thrown to him. "I was just a little anxious,” Reed explained. “I saw Tyrod giving me that look, and it was a good feeling. Then I just wanted to catch it so bad and get up the field and make a move on the receiver that I moved too fast and dropped the ball.”

My brother, who wears a Ravens jersey with 'Berry' on the back of it to honor Raymond Berry, brought up a Berry quote, "If your hands can touch it, then there's no excuse for not catching it."

I'm paying attention to Reed because it's sink or swim time for him and he can really help this team if he plays to his potential. We use Berry's mantra to evaluate all Ravens receivers. The only reason they are on the field is to catch the ball. That's all they have been training for, and if they are inconsistent in this most crucial of areas, then as my brother yells..."Go sit on the bench!".

In general,. the Ravens receiver issues over the years has been one of the #2 guys who could not be relied upon, on game day, to get open and catch the ball. They've had some decent #1's but the pool behind them has been murky as hell.

Drops are drive and team killers. Ask TJ [who still doesn't have a job].

Sidenote: Evans was 3 for 3 for 68 yards and a 22.7 ypc...we have our #2! :gorave:

To add to this point, Brian Billick has stated that the success of a season boils down to about a dozen plays. I agree.

Think about it. Last year the Palamalu hit on Joe. TJ's drop. Bouldins TD drop. Wilsons INT and overtime TD to win the Houston game...to name a few.

It all boils down to beating yourself or finding ways to win in a 60 minute game.

Reeds response to the drops was to step up and prove he can be a very dependable receiver. He showed me what a ton of Ravens receivers have failed to do over the years: He responded.

Fortunately for Reed, Taylor showed faith in the second-year wideout and went right back to him to convert a key third down.

From there, it was gangbusters. Reed drew a pass-interference penalty that gave the Ravens 25 yards and caught another 18-yard pass that led to a touchdown on the next play.

Reed then set up another touchdown when he corralled a 41-yard bomb from Taylor during the following drive.

The second-year receiver believes he can continue to make those big plays.

“That’s what I did all through college, high school, everything. I felt like I could always make those plays. I make those downfield catches. Once that ball is in the air I feel like I’ve got to come down with it.”

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/08/20/reed-strong-in-return-from-surgery/

It was pure football enjoyment from this fans perspective to watch him because I got to see one more thing: Taylor can throw very well. All he needs is help. Somebody who gets open and catches the ball.

Yes, it was against 2's and 3's.

Yes, Taylor is still a raw rookie, but he's making progress in a very short time frame. The man has an incredible amount on his plate and a tenth of the time to digest it.

I'll say this: He looks far better than Tory Smith did.

He is the Ravens best option as the back up QB for this year. Looking at the scrap heap of QB's who are available, I say don't waste the roster spot. They can't handle game pressure. They are not playmakers or even game managers.

'IF' Tyrod would have had a full preseason of mini camps and workouts, then the Ravens probably would be in decent shape if Joe misses a game or two. Now, situation as it is, don't blame Taylor, because I think he has what it takes.

He just lacks the time, reps and experience to probably be impactfull against starting defenses in the NFL this year.

Then again, he might surprise us.

At this time, which is way too early to tell, I think he will be a dependable option by next years opener.

Edited by vmax

Guest BallTMore

The competition at WR is getting interesting. Reed and Williams have both shown big play ability. I'd like to keep both, but I'm not sure the Ravens are going to keep 6 WRs.

I'm also warming up to Taylor being the backup. He did seem to settle down at the end of the Eagles game, and against KC he made some very good throws. I expect more ups and downs, but I like him.

The competition at WR is getting interesting. Reed and Williams have both shown big play ability. I'd like to keep both, but I'm not sure the Ravens are going to keep 6 WRs.

I'm also warming up to Taylor being the backup. He did seem to settle down at the end of the Eagles game, and against KC he made some very good throws. I expect more ups and downs, but I like him.

We easily could keep both Williams and Reed since both have extensive special teams experience and could contribute there.