ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

28. Baltimore Ravens: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

ravinmaniac52

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been on my mind for the past few days, and I'm starting to like it more than the WR idea:

Laurinaitis has fallen behind both Curry and Maualuga in most prospect drafts (example, Mayock's: http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=090...p;confirm=true). Think he or Maualuga (because Curry will go at the top) could be viable?

That way we worry less about signing Scott/Suggs and keep the position solidified.

What would be the NFL-equivalent of a poor-man's Larry Fitzgerald? I don't know what happens when you take one of the most talented WR's of all time and then strip him down to a 'poor-man's version'.

Ok jackass...when i say poor mans version, means that he has the same strengths and weaknesses that scouts saw in Fitzy when he came out. By saying poor mans version, it says that he plays like fitzy but obviously is not on or near his level.

I suppose you make him white instead of black.

Zing.

LOL. :lol: I do like your idea with the MLB. Even if we do only re-sign Ray, we will still have to replace him in a couple of seasons, so just Gooden will not do it. Man, Laurinaitis really made a mistake by not declaring for the draft last season, he would have been a top 10 pick.

200px-RoadWarriors.jpg

I really like DHB, so it would be a tough decision. I think I would take Laurinaitis over Harvin though.

As for Gooden's injury, I think I remember in one of Preston's blog that Gooden should be fine and recovered for minicamps.

Does anybody agree for drafting for talent instead of drafting for position. I mean obviously we don't need a FS but, there are many position that could definitely benefit from another strong player. Instead of just looking at an okay answer to our primary concerns.

It's easiest to draft the best player available when you have no glaring needs. When you have several needs, you should draft the best available player that fills a hole. Since WR and CB are both big needs, and there will likely be guys available who will be great players at those positions, you go with them unless a player falls that is head-and-shoulders better at another position. If a top 5 guy, for example, falls to #20, then you take him. But if it's a matter of guys with similar grades, which it usually is, then there's nothing wrong with filling your immediate needs first. That's what we usually do anyways.

Ok jackass...when i say poor mans version, means that he has the same strengths and weaknesses that scouts saw in Fitzy when he came out. By saying poor mans version, it says that he plays like fitzy but obviously is not on or near his level.

I know what "poor man's version" means. I just happen to also know that Brian Robiskie is not even close to being worth a comparison to Fitz, one of the best WR's anyone has ever seen. He'll be lucky to be in the same league as Anthony Gonzalez or Michael Jenkins when all is said and done.

We can't judge someone whose still in college who thought Tom Brady would be Tom Brady. I don't think CB is a glaring need we have Mcalister if we drop/cut him we might have to start looking.

CB is a glaring need. It was last season, and it is this season as well. After McAlister, we have very little in the way of quality CB play. Rolle and Washington are good at some things, but terrible at others. We need to bring in a guy who can grow into an all-around player.

I know what "poor man's version" means. I just happen to also know that Brian Robiskie is not even close to being worth a comparison to Fitz, one of the best WR's anyone has ever seen. He'll be lucky to be in the same league as Anthony Gonzalez or Michael Jenkins when all is said and done.

Hey dude, stop being a tool and read what i wrote. I never compared robiskie, who presently is a college player, to Fitz, who is an nfl elite wr. I said that his skill set reminds me of fitz and if i had to pick a wr who robiskie resembles it would be fitz.

Hey dude, stop being a tool and read what i wrote. I never compared robiskie, who presently is a college player, to Fitz, who is an nfl elite wr. I said that his skill set reminds me of fitz and if i had to pick a wr who robiskie resembles it would be fitz.

...and he's just saying that that's wrong, and that he's more like Gonzales.

Fitz is an elite NFL WR right now... but do you remember him in college? He was just as ridiculous back then. Anyone who watched him play knew that he was going to be a dominant NFL receiver. That's why he was the #3 pick in the draft. And that may have been two spots too low for him. He also should have won the Heisman that year, except that he was penalized for being a sophomore (this was pre-Tebow/Bradford). And you can't tell me that Pitt had a better supporting cast than what Robiskie has at Ohio State.

Comparing non-elite receivers to Larry Fitzgerald is just as bad as the cliched 'compare everyone with Hitler' line.

Fitz is an elite NFL WR right now... but do you remember him in college? He was just as ridiculous back then. Anyone who watched him play knew that he was going to be a dominant NFL receiver. That's why he was the #3 pick in the draft. And that may have been two spots too low for him. He also should have won the Heisman that year, except that he was penalized for being a sophomore (this was pre-Tebow/Bradford). And you can't tell me that Pitt had a better supporting cast than what Robiskie has at Ohio State.

Comparing non-elite receivers to Larry Fitzgerald is just as bad as the cliched 'compare everyone with Hitler' line.

1. You don't know if Robiskie will be an elite wr or not and 2. Where you drafted means nothing in terms of who is elite and who is not.

Robiskie would have been a first rd pick had he came out last yr, but since osu played pryor, who can't throw, at qb his stock has dropped. So its not like its out of the realm to compare an first rd draft pick to a elite wr.

BTW, Robiskie is no way shape or form like anthony gonzales. That is prolly the least wr to compare Robo to in regards to his skill set. The only similiarity is that they went to OSU.

1. You don't know if Robiskie will be an elite wr or not and 2. Where you drafted means nothing in terms of who is elite and who is not.

Robiskie would have been a first rd pick had he came out last yr, but since osu played pryor, who can't throw, at qb his stock has dropped. So its not like its out of the realm to compare an first rd draft pick to a elite wr.

I think you missed the point... Larry Fitzgerald isn't amazing because he was drafted #3. He was one of the most amazing college receivers anyone has ever seen, and he was drafted #3 overall. Would you say that Robiskie is anywhere close to one of the best college receivers anyone has ever seen? Would you say he's a poor man's version of one of the greatest receivers college football has ever seen?

Trust me, Robiskie is closer to Gonzalez and Jenkins than he is to Fitzgerald. They were first round receivers also. There's just a world of difference between a late-first-rounder and a top 5 WR.

Ok, this argument is officially going nowhere. You believe your shit and I'll believe mine.

Watch Robiskie turn into a world class receiver and RavensNest laugh at us all! :lol:

What does everyone think about Hakeem Nicks? He is 6'1" 210, only a true junior (just turned 21), and has put up excellent produciton at UNC (only Calvin Johnson is the only three-year player in ACC history with more career receiving yards than Nicks). The guy went absolutely off on WVU in the Meineke Car Care Bowl with 8 receptions for 217 yards and 3 TDs.

Despite posting a 18 YPC average, he is not a deep threat. On the flip side, he is an excellent route runner who explodes out of his cuts. He knows how to use his big body and has very soft, and strong hands to make all the catches (YouTube him, he makes highlight catches routinely). He has good instincts, and is a redzone threat with his size and athleticism. Nicks is seen as a low risk pick, but doesn't have the upside of some of the other receivers in the draft. Both Mel Kiper and UNC coach Butch Davis compared him to Michael Irvin.

Kiper projects Nicks as a late first rounder, but I am sure Nick's projection will be heavily based upon his 40 time, as there are questions about his speed.

Watch Robiskie turn into a world class receiver and RavensNest laugh at us all! :lol:

What does everyone think about Hakeem Nicks? He is 6'1" 210, only a true junior (just turned 21), and has put up excellent produciton at UNC (only Calvin Johnson is the only three-year player in ACC history with more career receiving yards than Nicks). The guy went absolutely off on WVU in the Meineke Car Care Bowl with 8 receptions for 217 yards and 3 TDs.

Despite posting a 18 YPC average, he is not a deep threat. On the flip side, he is an excellent route runner who explodes out of his cuts. He knows how to use his big body and has very soft, and strong hands to make all the catches (YouTube him, he makes highlight catches routinely). He has good instincts, and is a redzone threat with his size and athleticism. Nicks is seen as a low risk pick, but doesn't have the upside of some of the other receivers in the draft. Both Mel Kiper and UNC coach Butch Davis compared him to Michael Irvin.

Kiper projects Nicks as a late first rounder, but I am sure Nick's projection will be heavily based upon his 40 time, as there are questions about his speed.

I really like Nicks. I'd be surprised if he doesn't go somewhere in the first round. If the other top receivers are gone, and he's sitting there, I'd love to see us grab him. Definitely can't argue with his production at UNC, and he has a pretty big frame. Could grow into an Anquan Boldin-type receiver. I'm not too concerned about his 40-time, because receivers like him don't have to beat guys deep... they have smart football instincts to get open. That's something we need more than anything right now.