ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ed Reed on punt returns

Since this is a winner take all game, what do you guys think about letting Ed Reed return punts for us against the Steelers. I swore I saw Reed motion to the sidelines against the Titans to return a punt. Points and field position will come at a premium in this game. I feel we have to have our BEST players in the BEST position to win this game. Ed Reed doesn't return often, but i got a feeling he could break one. Is this worth the risk of injury? or a turnover since he doesn't do it a lot? What you guys think?

I think you saw Reed saying he wanted to rush the punt... he is great at beating the corner man and getting the block... that's what I saw him asking for.

But even that is not always the best idea. Though, the corner man on the punting team should be flagged for holding on almost every play if Reed rushes...

I just don't think it's worth it... especially with Reed's stupidity when carrying the ball. Great at running? Sure. Horrible at holding the ball.

Jim Leonhard has been great. Let him keep it up.

I think you saw Reed saying he wanted to rush the punt... he is great at beating the corner man and getting the block... that's what I saw him asking for.

But even that is not always the best idea. Though, the corner man on the punting team should be flagged for holding on almost every play if Reed rushes...

I just don't think it's worth it... especially with Reed's stupidity when carrying the ball. Great at running? Sure. Horrible at holding the ball.

Jim Leonhard has been great. Let him keep it up.

I agree with what you are saying. Leonhard is doing a good job. However, if PITT punts from their end zone and the ball will be caught around the 50 yard line, then I think we should throw Reed in there under that circumstance. Otherwise, let Leonhard do the job. I definitely don't want Figures back there. After the Steelers smashed him in that last game, he looks like he is scared to get hit.

My biggest fear with Reed is my same fear every time he gets an interception...

He holds the ball out in one hand... dangling it so that one touch and it is gone... he tries to flip, lateral and do every last little thing to get extra yards that we don't necessarily need.

Remember that no turnover thing we are going for here? Reed on a punt return jeopardizes that.

If the Steelers are punting from their own endzone... send Reed on the block... McClain (Jameel) gets great push up the middle with the big men, Reed on the corner will only make it more likely we block. And let Leonhard stay back. Even a 10 yards return from the 50 puts us in perfect position.

I would consider... MAYBE... putting Reed AND Leonhard back very late in the game... if we were losing and NEEDED a huge play.

But just for the hell of it? No. Not risking it unless we absolutely NEED it to win.

Good point. We definitely do not need any turnovers.

Speaking of taking risks, I just feel that we need to do SOMETHING a little different. Playing safe and conservative football against the Steelers this year has gotten us 2 Losses.

I know Joe is a rookie but I feel if we just have a LITTLE more faith in him, I think he could move the ball. If Ben can move the ball on our good defense, shouldn't Joe be able to do something. I'm not asking that we throw the ball 70% of the time, just allow him to make some more plays. This really hits home for me when Joe does make a play during the game. He will make the absolutely beautiful throw and gain 15 or so yards and then they wont call anymore plays like that until the next quarter.

I'm just scared that if we do not have at least a 7 point lead in the 4rth quarter, were going to see the same thing happen that happened before. Maybe I am wrong. I hope. Maybe the older players like Ray, Samari, Price, and Mason will take this game as life or death; meaning that this will be their last opportunity for a ring.

I'm really hoping for deja vu. Ngata doing a Goose and sacking Big Ben with all his weight knocking is drama queen a$$ out the game.