ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Van Halen looks fantastic

papasmurfbell

Actually I preferred Van Halen with Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony. 5150 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge were solid, top notch rock albums.

I don't know why people still want to see these old folks play. Yeah, EVH is still amazing on a guitar, but, just, no...not as a band.

No you just didnt say that!!!!!!!!!!

Let me tell ya something youngin, the best concert Ive EVER seen was just recently, The Dukes of September, Fagan,McDonald & Scaggs 3 of the best voices you'll ever hear, and you want to talk about guitarists no one brings it like Boz Scaggs, he was amazing..

I don't know why people still want to see these old folks play.

Because that's what we grew up with. It brings back memories of good times with good people. Rockin' out on the beach with a bonfire blazing and girls skinny dipping in the ocean. Driving a Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, or a PontiacTrans Am. Listening to bands with real talented musicians like Boston, Led Zepplin, The Who, Doobie Brothers, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Elton John, Rush, Chicago... the list goes on and on.

Your day will come too when you get older and people won't understand why you still listen to the music you like. I'm just hoping it's not the Backstreet Boys.

You should see the looks I get when I drive the wifes vehicle into town..She has satellite radio with the Bose speaker system, it has a 70's channel, plus my fav 3 channels of funk from the 70's....I pull up to a stop light and kids hear my music blaring, I know what they are thinking.

I like VAn Hagar. Those are the songs I grew up hearing but I still love the DLR VH. I love the older stuff because so much of what is put out now is crap.

Name a single musician in the past twenty years that has been recognized as superior on any instrument. Now it's all about looks. Welcome to the Justin Bieber era of alleged music.

Like the Who said, Rock is dead.

Name a single musician in the past twenty years that has been recognized as superior on any instrument.

You must be joking.

And Crav, I don't argue that those bands and songs are some of the best of your era and maybe the best ever, but there is a time and place for everything. Joe Montana, Johnny U., and other great old players like them were the best of their era and maybe the best ever, but no one wants to see them play now. They're old news, and would be an embarrassment to themselves, to their contemporaries, and to what they were back in the day. This applies in every way to these old men getting on stage and generally making fools of themselves.

And, for what it's worth, they are some of my favorite bands and music, too.

You must be joking.

I'm just saying Force I can't come up with a name of a new musician in the past couple decades that has rattled the music world. The last one that really made me stand up and take notice was Slash from "Gun's and Roses", but we're talking '88 here. I'm not all knowing about new music, so if I'm unaware of some new epic guitarist/pianist/drummer/whatever, please post their name here. Preferably with a YouTube link.

He's not 'made it' yet... but the guy just starting to turn heads right now is Gary Clark, Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFjMeOnqAPI

Check out some of the live stuff too.

Meanwhile... I agree with Force just in the fact that I don't think VH have much to say as a group these days. As individuals, sure, they would be fun to see and have a lot to provide - would love to see them join in as individuals in other concerts. But as a group? What they're doing simply isn't interesting any more.

He's not 'made it' yet... but the guy just starting to turn heads right now is Gary Clark, Jr.

Meanwhile... I agree with Force just in the fact that I don't think VH have much to say as a group these days. As individuals, sure, they would be fun to see and have a lot to provide - would love to see them join in as individuals in other concerts. But as a group? What they're doing simply isn't interesting any more.

Not bad. I hear a lot of Jimi Hendrix influence in him which is never a bad thing.

I was going to say Gary Clark.

Derek Trucks has basically taken over for Dwayne Allman in Allman Bro. He also has his own band now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLQTbmUYI4A

Derek Trucks has basically taken over for Dwayne Allman in Allman Bro. He also has his own band now.

I give the kid props. He's damn good!

FWIW I saw the Allman Brothers back in '77 in San Diego. Elvin Bishop opened the show for them. Played an awesome opening act. Even had a brass backup section. Then the Allman Brothers came out. Gregg Allman fell down on his way to the piano breaking a bottle of Jack Daniels on the stage floor. They picked him up and carried him to the bench in front of the piano. The rest of the band wasn't much better off. They tried to kick off their set with "Rambling Man". Three bars into the song it fell apart. They tried again and it too failed. The entire place went ballistic and booed as we were walking towards the exits.

That's when Elvin Bishop ran from backstage to the mic and yelled "Where are you going!?! You came here to hear some Allman Brothers, and we're going to make it happen!!" He and his band came back out and played the entire Allman brothers lineup of songs, and they did it note for note.

Most incredible concert I ever witnessed.

Yeah they were pretty f'ed up back in the day. About 10 yrs ago I saw Marshall Tucker band. Doug Gray was so effing druck he couldn't remember all the lyrics to Heard it in a Love Song. He held the mic out to the audience for about 3 mins having then sing. Later he was off tempo.

About 4 yrs later they were at a festival I was at and he was so much better. He seemed totally sober.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...