ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

OC in Top 8 Boardwalks

vmax

Oh c'mon crav... drop the 'things suck today' for once...

It's still a great boardwalk. I've never been one for the touristy parts of OC, so I don't really spend money on it, but I do like to walk it every summer. And being right on the beach - not a very wide beach either - is great.

are you kidding me dc?

Well, put it this way havent been on the boards in ten years, it just got way too pricey for us down there..I really enjoy staying up on 138th st and the entire week wouldnt go past the 90th st bridge..I recall vividly, when I was a kid, I would save 42.00 during the year, that was for six nights, 7 dollars a night AND I would even win a pack of stale smokes out of the claw machine...and then do my nightly spending at Marty's..Now when we used to take my 3 kids they are from 33-22 in ages, it would be 200 bucks a night on the Boards..

I will go down there in the off season, I love eating and drinking at Harrisons on the inlet..

Edited by cravnravn

Plus....Where we live in Fl now there is an International Airport named Sanford/Orlabdo Int'l we are literally 15 minutes away from it..There is an Airline called Allegiant Air that flies 2x a week directly into Salisbury for 50 dollars, DIRECT FLIGHT!!!!! My sister still lives in Berlin, so even though Im 980 miles from Baltimore, Im a 2hr flight from the Ocean..

... can 42 bucks buy you anything today that it used to?

Of course it's more expensive. So is your soda, your big mac and the textbooks your kids buy.

How much were Colts tickets? A beer a Colts game? (Used to bring in your own, no?)... do you bitch about Ravens tickets that cost 5x as much per game?

According to inflation data, $42 in 1970 is worth $220 in 2012. I could have a damn good week on $200 bucks in OC by myself... even better if my friends all had $200 for a week.

Our Colts tickets were 80.00 back in 83..Section 2 row 23 seats 8,9 &10..No PSL's, we could bring our own beer in, in a jug no cans or bottles were allowed. Seats were right bend "home plate" at Memorial, 1st row under cover.

I guess as we age, the crowd factor comes into play, heck I was on Ocean Citys web Cams Memorial weekend, and they were shoulder to shoulder on the Cam by Martys..That would drive me nuts if I was down there. I see it here too, We go to the beach on Fridays, last Friday was the first Friday the kids were out of school, our beach was filling up around noon..I packed up and went home.

Enjoy it now because we can kiss it good-bye sometime this century...

U.S. Geological Survey scientists call the 600-mile swath a "hot spot" for climbing sea levels caused by global warming. Along the region, the Atlantic Ocean is rising at an annual rate three times to four times faster than the global average since 1990, according to the study published Sunday in the journal Nature Climate Change.

By 2100, scientists and computer models estimate that sea levels globally could rise as much as 3.3 feet. The accelerated rate along the East Coast could add about 8 inches to 11 inches more, Sallenger said.

"Where that kind of thing becomes important is during a storm," Sallenger said. That's when it can damage buildings and erode coastlines.

Margaret Davidson, director of the Coastal Services Center for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Charleston, S.C., said the implications of the new research are "huge when you think about it. Somewhere between Maryland and Massachusetts, you've got some bodaciously expensive property at risk."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/story/2012-06-24/east-coast-sea-rise/55795690/1

Will you stop that, Effin Al Gore hasnt been heard from in 5 years with the harsh winters we had, now all of a sudden we had a mild one and he takes his time with this "new find"

Where was Gore 2 years ago when the mid atlantic got blasted with back to back blizzards and freezing temperatures in March??

He's just pissed off because my total oil consumption last winter was only 400 gallons compared to my average of 650 gallons..That hit him in the best place, his dividend check..

Actually, most global warming people were there both of the previous winters to say that this was in their prediction...

Ever see "The Day After Tomorrow" where the crazy storms destroy the whole US and most of them are winter storms? That's based on several global warming predictions. Warming weather and oceans will melt ice caps... but melting ice caps will actually cool the water in the north... that will disrupt all kinds of ocean currents, like the gulf stream which is the only thing that keeps us - and most of Europe - relatively warm despite our latitude.

In any case, if you want to think about global warming Crav, just go to some of your favorite islands - you can be sure they'll tell you about the rising tide levels.

Don't forget it was a storm that seperated OC fgrom assateague Island...that actually was a good thing...

The Ocean City Inlet was formed during a significant hurricane in 1933, which also destroyed the train tracks across the Sinepuxent Bay. The inlet separated what is now Ocean City from Assateague Island. The Army Corps of Engineers took advantage of nature's intervention and made the inlet at the south end of Ocean City permanent. The inlet eventually helped to establish Ocean City as an important Mid-Atlantic fishing port as it offered easy access to the fishing grounds of the Atlantic Ocean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_City,_Maryland

But imagine a similar storm or big catagory huricane hitting OC with the predicted sea level rises. Now you have 87 inlets.

For the most part, Ocean City has been lucky, says Clay Stamp, dodging six storms in the last 100 years or so that have come within 75 miles of the resort.

But after serving 27 years as the resort's emergency management chief, Stamp has a clear idea of how much of a pounding the 10-mile strip of sand could take.

The worst storm in Ocean City's history, Stamp says, was the Ash Wednesday storm of 1962, a powerful nor'easter that caused severe flooding.

The worst recent hurricane was Gloria, which prompted the evacuation of about 50,000 people in 1985.

The town could survive a Category 1 (sustained winds of 74 mph to 95 mph) or even a Category 2 (winds of 96 mph to 110 mph), Stamp says. Anything stronger, and it would be inundated.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/eastern-shore/bal-hurricane2003,0,7880742.story

In any case, if you want to think about global warming Crav, just go to some of your favorite islands - you can be sure they'll tell you about the rising tide levels.

Rising tides wont be mine or your worries...We'll be long gone and forgotten by the time rising tides even get up half way past Coastal Highway.

Max, Noreasters do a hell of alot more damage than a hurricane. Ocean City hasnt taken the brunt of a Hurricane, they are too protected from the Carolinas..For as much as they talk about Hurricane Gloria, she was 100 miles off the coast!!.You are safe there..

Now you want to be a gambler? I see a beautiful, ocean front individual home, 6 bedroom, 3 bath, roof top deck, built in pool ,330,000

Hes your kicker, Insurance Co's wont insure Ocean Front properties in Fl..

Rising tides wont be mine or your worries...We'll be long gone and forgotten by the time rising tides even get up half way past Coastal Highway.

Not quite sure on that one... the boardwalk is only a few feet above sea level at the moment. Won't take much to push it up and over. A storm surge of 5-6 feet from a hurricane floods most of the city. Raise water level 2 feet and you only need a 2 foot storm surge...

Storm Surge yes, that can happen anywhere, we have lost all of New Smyrna Beach onto the main drag during yesterdays welcoming of Debby..

But when the waters subside, It'll be business as usual, and Ill be back on the beach with my Red Solo Cup.

Surge and Ice Melt related to global warming are apples to oranges.

The point is that a smaller surge will become far more troublesome... and a smaller surge is also more frequent, making it more troublesome x2. Ignore the idea that our climate is erratic and getting worse; just don't bitch about it like you do rising prices when it comes...

And as i said before when the seas rise to where it will hinder civilization; you nor i will be around to bitch about it. And no one is ignoring the fact that the waters will rise again. They will rise when they are ready. When antartica stays above 32 for a year then i will start worrying.

And i dont bitch at things caused by mother nature. Just humans

Edited by cravnravn

And as i said before when the seas rise to where it will hinder civilization; you nor i will be around to bitch about it.

I probably won't be around, but I'd like to be around long enough to see some of the solutions and corrective actions outlined, agreed upon and implemented.

My kids will be around....and everybody's kids. We owe them the opportunity to live in the best world possible. I believe everybody wants that.

Global warming is just one of many world issues that we need to be taking agressive action on now. The sooner we do, then the lesser the consequences later.

For me, It's good to discuss stuff like this to raise awareness.

Right now, as I see it, The Goverment and Wall street know this is comming but they won't admit to it for fear of collapsing the current economy. I have no problem with that as long as they quietly begin to move the money and resources into the solution. In the end that will grow the economy here and world wide.

We can have a better, healthier planet and world future.

Everybody can win.