ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens officials at work on 2009 team

cravnravn

It appears the Ravens are close, possibly one player away, from a Super Bowl after a strong 2008 season that included reaching the AFC championship game. But appearances can be deceiving.

The Ravens, though, are smart enough to realize it.

"We're not content," said Eric DeCosta, the director of pro personnel. "We do have holes. We're not one player away. That was obvious in the Pittsburgh game [the AFC championship].

"We have a lot of question marks, but we have good leadership and we already have a good plan in place."

Prestonian

Crav,

It is indeed a year long proposition. Its great to hear the FO admits its weaknesses and holes and they have a plan to

address them. I like that they are looking at TE, esp since Heap's health and effectiveness has been questionable the last few years. However, this team cannot afford to pass up on a legit CB or WR (unless we first secure through FA).

In my mind, our team needs to do 3 things:

Address/lock up/resign Suggs, Brown, Ray and Leonard.

Fill holes vacated by expected losses of Scott, CMac and Rolle though free agency

Draft in the order of CB or WR, WR or CB, DE, TE, OL, etc.....

GO RAVENS !

Kinda threw me for a loop looking at TE we still have Wilcox and Ski will be back, we wont go TE at 26 if Pettigrew is there? will we?

I was discussing this in the draft forum. Pettigrew would certainly be a great value at 26. He isn't a downfield threat, but he is an athletic, reliable pass catching tight end who plays with a mean streak. Even more importantly, his blocking and strength are considered elite for the tight end position. Something that I am sure our guys will value very highly. However, Pettigrew does have attitude and off-field issues, which could go against us drafting him.

I was discussing this in the draft forum. Pettigrew would certainly be a great value at 26. He isn't a downfield threat, but he is an athletic, reliable pass catching tight end who plays with a mean streak. Even more importantly, his blocking and strength are considered elite for the tight end position. Something that I am sure our guys will value very highly. However, Pettigrew does have attitude and off-field issues, which could go against us drafting him.

If we Sip and Heap are healthy next year, I say we go with that or maybe TE later in the rounds. We have way too many other needs than TE right now.

There is a lot of solid, young talent at CB in the free agent market. There are a few potential Fabian Washington-type guys out there. I would absolutely love Vontae Davis if he fell, but that seems unlikely. D.J. Moore would be a good fit for use because he is an extremely fluent athlete who can run with receivers in man coverage and is solid in run support. Moore also has great instincts and is a ballhawk with his solid ball skills (6 INTs in each of the past two seasons). In fact, he played receiver for Vandy as well (7 catches, 143 yards and 2 TDs in 2008). Moore is also an extemely hard worker, of course he is intelligent coming from Vandy, and according to ESPN, is apart of the French Honors Society :D Moore sounds like a Raven.

Alphonso Smith on the other hand seems like a Cover-2 corner. While he is strong and possesses great speed, he is undersized and not very fluent in his hips.

Basically, I am not worried about obtaining quality depth at corner. There is plenty of opportunity out there in free agency and the draft. Wide receiver is the position I am worried about. Reggie Williams and Nate Washington are mid-range guys I would like us to take a look at. In the draft, I would target DHB and Hakeem Nicks.

People are to hard on Heap.

I know all football player should block but it isn't one of his things, he catches passes, we seen that over the years. No one had bad things to say about him when he was making the catches. Heap played hurt almost all season long. They held him back in max most of the time blocking for a rookie QB who liked going deep. How many of our other TEs were hurt?

We were at a point were Chester was going to play TE, we even had a LB playing TE.

The young QB will get better, the blocking will get better and the other TEs will get healthy and Heap will be out catching passes again.

Technically,this will be the first draft I can remember, where drafting for need is a priority..If we lose C-Mac and Rolle, thats basically the tell tale of who we will be drafting.

I really can not see them doing away with both. Like TC said, lot of young guys on the market. Who knows, maybe Chris will re-work his deal. Rolle re-worked his deal last year, more of a if I play I get paid deal. I like Walker and Washington but not as full-time starters.

I really like Fabian, he had a hell of a camp.

Me, too. But one way or another, we have to acquire or draft at least one other 1 legit, healthy, shut down CB for next season. Selfishly, I'd rather us pick up a top flight CB in FA and draft another in the 1st round.

We just cant go another season with such a patchwork tandem of CBs. Thats all.

People are to hard on Heap.

I know all football player should block but it isn't one of his things, he catches passes, we seen that over the years. No one had bad things to say about him when he was making the catches. Heap played hurt almost all season long. They held him back in max most of the time blocking for a rookie QB who liked going deep. How many of our other TEs were hurt?

We were at a point were Chester was going to play TE, we even had a LB playing TE.

The young QB will get better, the blocking will get better and the other TEs will get healthy and Heap will be out catching passes again.

No one is being hard on Heap, but your second point is exactly why we would draft a tight-end. We are potentially thin at the position because our current group of tight ends have a history of durability problems. Drafting Pettigrew does not mean we have to get rid of Heap. Having both would be solid. Heap has a lot of football for only being 28 years-old, I am not how much more he has left in the tank. I really hope that Heap has a resurgence year next season after an offseason working with Flacco.