ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Jamal Lewis: No Babysitter

deeshopper

Lewis Says Mangini Overworking Browns

By TOM WITHERS

BEREA, Ohio (AP) -Cleveland Browns running back Jamal Lewis said he's frustrated by another losing season and believes coach Eric Mangini is pushing his players too hard.

Lewis, who intends to retire after this season, said Thursday that he doesn't want to be a "babysitter" to Cleveland's younger players. He wants to win and expressed disappointment that two- and three-hour practices aren't translating into wins for the team, which has a 1-7 record.

"There's talent all over this locker room, young and old," he said before practice. "There's talent everywhere, but that talent has got to be ready for Sunday, it's got to be fresh for Sunday. You can work all day, but if you're going to work like that, you're probably not going to get what you want out of your players."

While Lewis doesn't mind working hard, he said Mangini is wearing out his players. The team captain said he hasn't approached his coach about making changes.

"This is his show, not mine," Lewis said. "You got to take care of your crop. If you don't, when it comes time to harvest, you're not going to make no money because the crop is no good. That's that."

Lewis said the length and intensity of Mangini's practices are not the issue, it's that the first-year coach's approach isn't producing wins.

"If I'm going to come out here and work the way I work, then I want results," Lewis said. "Right now, that's not what's going on. I feel like it's just a waste of time for me."

Earlier, Mangini said he has changed his approach and adjusted this season.

Lewis was asked to comment on the coach's stance.

"Next question," he said.

http://sports.iwon.com/news/11122009/v5083.html