ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Emblematic of the season .

varaven45

Tonight's Bosox game - top of the 8th inning - exemplifies the Os season and their penchant for squandering perfect run scoring opportunities. Os get a lead off runner in Nate McLouth, followed by a Machado double, putting runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and our best hitters to follow.

What followed is precisely the outcome we have seen countless times throughout the season.

And It's one of the biggest reasons why this team won't make the playoffs.

In the off season, Buck and the Os have to overcome this problem by learning how to play small ball, when necessary, and picking up another CLUTCH hitter.

It's been frustrating to watch as this team could have easily won 5-10 more games and made the playoffs this season. Darn shame !

Yeah, a lot of their losses have been frustrating. As close as they are to the wildcard - I agree, even remove a couple of the bad losses and we are in.

They might still make it. If not its a step back but not a disaster of a season. We finally have a power hitting first baseman - though he will need a new contract, Manny is fantastic.

Also a few years ago while not admitting that the payroll structure in baseball was a problem - both the league and the players seemed open to a balanced schedule. Yes plase. If we are going to compete for wildcards against other AL teams it would be nice if a balanced schedule was adopted.

• 3 weeks later...

This team is really close to being great IMO. I feel like we won the World Series when Machado avoided a scare with his knee injury. We just needed to get out of this season healthy and get ready for next season.

We have a GREAT core. Jones, Machado, Crush, Wieters, Hardy are all solid players (still expect more from Wieters on offense). Pitching we have four solid starters locked in with Tillman, Bud Norris, Chen, and Gonzalez.

As far as what we need: solidify the bullpen. I'm feeling good about the starters. I believe Gausman can be our fifth starter. He started out rough but he had great success and got good experience as a long reliever. Gausman has an incredible fastball-slider combo. He just needs to get the change up down. I'd try and re-sign Feldman and go with the six starters above. Bundy being able to contribute in anyway is a bonus.

On offense I really like what we have. I love Valencia. I think he could be a platoon outfielder and full time DH. Flaherty and Schoop are certainly talented enough to compete for the second baseman job. Another full offseason for Manny and he should be even better next season. Jones, Davis and Hardy are givens. We just have to hope that Markakis and Wieters can have rebound years. Maybe just sign another bar for depth.

This team is close and they have great chemistry. Back-to-back winning seasons, this team is not going anywhere!

Wieters is a solution, not a problem.

How about we get a DH that can hit? One of the best offenses in the league with the single worst performing DH slot in the league. How is that possible? Put a half decent bat in there and you've got a monster offense. (Though, I would love to see us become a team based in OBP, not just SLG)

A starting arm is probably the other big need. There is some depth in the pen hiding in the minors. (ACE / Tillman / Chen / Gonzalez / Norris or Feldman or Gausman or whoever). You've got a rotation. Just need a legit #1 (as we've been saying forever)

Cleetz - Valencia cannot be a full-time DH. He cannot - repeat CANNOT - hit righties. His ability to hit lefties is well established (though, still not 100% confident in his ability to do it for a full year). But his hitting vs. righties is abysmal.

As much as I would like to approve of the "platoon DH" that we've done for years, there are way too many issues. First, the bats of those DHs never seem to stay hot or even start hot. It never seems to work from a bat perspective. But then you're also eating up a bench spot with a guy who you are mostly saying cannot play the field. Not healthy. Lastly, it becomes even harder to let a guy like Chris Davis take a day as DH because you might be eating another DH's plate appearances - and he may not play 1st! It's just silly.

Wieters is a solution, not a problem.

How about we get a DH that can hit? One of the best offenses in the league with the single worst performing DH slot in the league. How is that possible? Put a half decent bat in there and you've got a monster offense. (Though, I would love to see us become a team based in OBP, not just SLG)

A starting arm is probably the other big need. There is some depth in the pen hiding in the minors. (ACE / Tillman / Chen / Gonzalez / Norris or Feldman or Gausman or whoever). You've got a rotation. Just need a legit #1 (as we've been saying forever)

Would you consider trading Wieters at all? Sure he is very durable and his defense is elite. However his bat has been disappointing for the calibur of prospect he was. Both Wieters and Davis are representated by Boras. Do you think we have a chance of extending both guys? This team is built to win now.