ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Little Known Stats

varaven45

For those statistician buffs, did you know we are ranked as follows(according to NFL.com):

Defense 4th in Total D

7th in Run D

6th in Pass D

These are absolutely mind boggling stats given our patchwork secondary and our beat up/evolving LB corps and aging DL (sans Ngata) Of course, games against Detroit and Chicago will pad your stats, huh ? We'll drop significantly after Steeelers game and improve after Oakland and hopefully end up in top ten. I guess, this is what most expected after losses of Rex, Leonard and Scott. If we get a pass rusher, 1-2 CBS and a future Ray Ray "type" (not that this is possible), our D should improve on this next year.

Offense 13th Total O

9th Run O

13th Pass 0

This is interesting, given the "down year" our D was expected to have and our O was supposed to take a step forward. Our lack of a consistent pass game, and absence of a deep threat and/or physical playmaker WR has got to be addressed this offseason, through hook or crook. Even if we get 1 playmaker, that would be huge for the O. Joe needs more toys.....now.

At the end of the day, wins are what count and stats (while cute) dont matter. Still, it is interesting to see the rankings and trends.

What about points allowed? I believe we are second behind only the Colts.

For all the crap our D gets (and they deserve a ton of it), I stand by the early early statement that our offense is as much to blame for many of our losses... if you hold the Colts to 13(Forget and not interested in looking it up) or the Bengals to 17 TWICE, I expect to win those games. Even if you want to say "they were playing conservative" and whatever other bull... the points are the points. They were all under 20. We should be able to score 20.

The key to the season has been the redzone offense. Like dc said, when you hold teams like the Bengals and Colts under 20 points, your offense has to score touchdowns, not field goals, to win these games. When we have been successfull in the redzone (our first four games and our last two), we have dominated teams (take away the Pats loss). But when we try and trade field goals with touchdowns, you cannot expect to win. Same case this week, we need to score in the redzone to beat the Steelers, no field goals.

The key to the season has been the redzone offense. Like dc said, when you hold teams like the Bengals and Colts under 20 points, your offense has to score touchdowns, not field goals, to win these games. When we have been successfull in the redzone (our first four games and our last two), we have dominated teams (take away the Pats loss). But when we try and trade field goals with touchdowns, you cannot expect to win. Same case this week, we need to score in the redzone to beat the Steelers, no field goals.

We just have to copy Bears, Raiders, KC and Browns, who obviously find a key to beat that team. Maybe Steelers has some problems when they are the favourite this year... So please let us be the underdog here.

Let us win the turnover battle first of all, then I think we will be fine.

Dating back to the 2000 season, the Ravens are 49-0 when posting at least a +2 turnover ratio.

Matteson deserves some credit here. I'm sure some fans will be calling for his head this off season but the numbers don't lie. #2 in fewest points surrendered. #4 in yards.

That's excellent.

His 1st year...Suggs and Reed missed PT....he had to form a new secondary in a QB/ pass friendly NFL...no real dominant DE pass rushers...no shutdown corner....

He's used what he has just right...not asking them to do what they can't and they are surviving their weaknesses.

Close losses will be the doom of this season IF we don't make the playoffs. Cam got stupid with the play calling for a few weeks in the middle of the season and we might miss the playoffs because of it. The Suggs package should have been utilized this entire year (at least in the games we needed it) as well...