ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

KC series

Crav & Spen, good win and clutch pitching - high fives all around there,

Hitting is another matter. The hitters are in a funk, no clutch or situational hitting.

We are walking fine line on this 1 run games and flirting with disaster (enter Hunter).

Without a bonafide closer at the moment, this team has to manufacture runs - through begging, borrowing or stealing.

The next game we are clinging to a late inning 1 run lead and get 2-3 runners on w/< 2 out, Buck has got to play small ball.

I don't care if Davis, Jones, etc. are up, you HAVE to score a damn run and get a 2-3 run lead, esp w/ our delicate closer situation.

Whatever happened to a suicide squeeze; drag bunt, hitting the ball to the right to move the dang runner along ?

Until Weiters returns (if he does) and the lineup gets it in gear, Buck needs to manufacture runs and hope it holds up.

This team and our division is playing mediocre ball right now. But some team is going to get hot - now, June, July - and take a big lead.

We need to slowly put together Ws, series wins, and see where this goes. Hopefully, Buck keeps the ship afloat and going in the right direction.

The Sun has a great article about how much the switch to Britton means even if Buck says otherwise. Britton came in to face Gordon who had historically owned him and Valencia who owns lefties. Two bad matchups and he was still the choice.

I like Britton a lot more as a closer than Hunter. Hunter is a fly ball pitcher so there's always a good possibility of him giving up a home run like we saw against Miggy. That home run wasn't even hit all too well but it kept sailing. Unfortunately these types of balls fly off bats too much from Hunter. I'll take Britton's chances as a ground ball pitcher and our good defense.

Tell Britton he only has one inning and he'll be throwing his sinker 94-95 MPH like we saw last night. We could really have something here. There is part of me that wonders what the new Britton would be like as a starter. However, his confidence is sky high and this team is in win no mode. Now is the time to put Britton as closer.

Tillman !!! And no closer !!!

And a bunt by Machado. Buck playing a little small ball. Can you believe it ?

That is what I m talking about !!!!

Tillman !!! And no closer !!!

And a bunt by Machado. Buck playing a little small ball. Can you believe it ?

That is what I m talking about !!!!

And a shutout to boot....

Machado's bunt wasn't a Buck call. Like Jones he has always used the bunt to get himself on when the situation is right. But it was a great call in a tight game with Guthrie pitching so well to that point.

Tough loss tonight . Duffy pitched a heck of a game and Holland pitched a Tommy Hunter like 9th. For a minute a thought it was Hunter.

Too bad we lost tonight . I expect Shiields to shut us down tomorrow - the dude owns us

Tied up with Yanks for 1st place.

Runner on third. One out. Not one of the the guys to come to the plate even puts a ball in play.

That's what's wrong with this team. How does Jones keep swinging at those hooks? If I was an opposing manager I'd forbid any pitcher on my team from ever throwing him a pitch that didn't bounce.

Runner on 3rd & 0 out or 1 out - this team does this all the time. Hindsight is 20/20 but could we just once have tried a suicide with 1 out and Jonesy up ? No one would have expected it.

Might have changed the outcome.

Instead, we let the Yanks pull into 1st place tie and now we face Shields tomorrow - can't feel good about that one.

It's Buckball, live and did by the big hit. Outside of Markakis and Davis (maybe Machado when he's on his game), we don't have guys who will take pitches and make consistent contact. Another reason why losing Wieters hurts a lot, he was starting to come around in this category.

It's weird. I don't consider it Buck's preference to have players bat this way... Though our hitting coach certainly has the rep. But we certainly don't do much even in the offseason to find guys who just get on base.

It's weird. I don't consider it Buck's preference to have players bat this way... Though our hitting coach certainly has the rep. But we certainly don't do much even in the offseason to find guys who just get on base.

Agreed. Dan Duquette likes to think he is big on OBP but Boston outted him to get Billy Beane and later Theo Epstein.

It's frustrating but I do realize we have a good team who's batting style is going to win us as many games as it loses us. What it comes down to is: can we get hot at the right time?