ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

3 Candid Questions

varaven45

1. Ed Reed is a pro bowler but his liability on returns and free lancing is killing us.

Would this team be better off with him moving on ?

2. Does our WR playmaker com via draft or free agency. If the latter, who ?

Vincent Jackson, Brandon marshall, Miles Austin ?

3. Our OL is obviously key. I am not sure Gaither is our future LT and Oher may be the best fit there. Will we switch or possibly let Gaither go ?

• Upvote 1

1. Absolutely "No!"...he made the defensive plays today. Ed may retire due to his injuries.

2. Free Agency

3. Gaither's good but he's hurt. I say they keep Gaither at LT because he cannot play RT. This way you have your 2 best tackles on the field.

1. Ed Reed is a pro bowler but his liability on returns and free lancing is killing us.

2. Does our WR playmaker com via draft or free agency. If the latter, who ?

Vincent Jackson, Brandon marshall, Miles Austin ?

3. Our OL is obviously key. I am not sure Gaither is our future LT and Oher may be the best fit there. Will we switch or possibly let Gaither go ?

1. I cannot blame Reed on the fumble, it was a great play by Garcon. I wouldn't say his free lancing is killing us, but his carelessness on returns is. Look at it this way though, any other safety would not even have the ball in the first place. No way would our team be better off without him. Nevertheless Reed has had his share of injury problems and is getting older, it might be time to look for a replacement.

2. This all depends on a CBA agreement. If there is no CBA, we cannot sign a free agent until we lose one. Not to mention Jackson, Miles, Floyd, Edwards, and Marshall will all be RFAs instead of URFAs. Add Anquan Boldin and Dwayne Bowe to the list of receivers who will likely be available through trade, Unlike last year, this is a weak receiver draft class outside of the top guy, Dez Bryant. If there is an uncapped year, the only way to get a top receiver will be to trade a first or second round pick. I do not see Ozzie doing that, so cheaper free agents and draft picks will probably be the way we go. Nonetheless, that is probably better than what we have already. If we draft enough receivers, someone is sure to pan out.

3. I am concerned about Gaither's durability. He is only 22 and he is ALWAYS hurt. His injuries definitely effect his play as well, he does not play through injuries well. When he is healthy, he is among the best in the league, but he is never healthy. With the money he is going to ask for as a LT, I say we keep him for however long we have him under contract but look for a tackle we can develop. I am not sure I want to give a long-term deal to someone as fragile as Gaither. So when Gaither leaves, shift Oher over to LT and have a RT ready to go.

EDIT: After thinking it over, I would even switch Oher to LT next season. If Gaither doesn't like RT, then tough.

Guest BallTMore

If anyone answers "yes" I may lose it.

Just thinking about Ed leaving is making me depressed.

Edited by BallTMore

Oher, LT against Vikes, Flacco killed and played worse after that game.

Oher, LT against Steelers, Flacco killed and played even worse after that game.

Keep Gaither.

We still gashed the Steelers in the run-game. Oher can learn to pass-block. At least we know he'll be there every week.

Oher, LT against Vikes, Flacco killed and played worse after that game.

Oher, LT against Steelers, Flacco killed and played even worse after that game.

Keep Gaither.

Yeah, except Oher wasn't the one who was the cause of that. In fact, Oher handled Jared Allen of all people very well for anyone, let alone a rookie (and got a lot of praise for it), and made Harrison disappear in that Steelers game. It was Woodley beating Cousins like a red-headed stepchild that got Flacco killed.

Yes.

I wanna see BallT lose it. :)

We NEED Reed, especially with our secondary. I do not really blame him for the fumble yesterday. He wasn't hanging the ball out the way he normally does, just a great play by Garcon. Just like on Rice's fumble... helmet-to-ball = fumble.

I don't care how we get a WR, just get one. Or three.

We should switch Oher and Gaither, but I don't think we should ditch Gaither. He is very good when on the field and when healthy. Granted, those things don't always happen as much as they should.

As an additional note on Gaither, I always think about how he is 22... a guy who was pretty much kicked off his college team for his inability to keep grades up, even in spite of everything that schools like Maryland do to keep those guys eligible. That tells me something about him. I mean, I like the guy, but it certainly tells me something - about his ability to understand his role? his work ethic?

As an additional note on Gaither, I always think about how he is 22... a guy who was pretty much kicked off his college team for his inability to keep grades up, even in spite of everything that schools like Maryland do to keep those guys eligible. That tells me something about him. I mean, I like the guy, but it certainly tells me something - about his ability to understand his role? his work ethic?

That is what scares me about Gaither. He is only 22, but he is ALWAYS dinged up. Guys that young with as little football experience as him should not be as injury-prone as he is.

It's also a product of his size though... Ogden spent so long playing football, he knew how to handle his weight and his position. Gaither is a big guy still learning all of that. But also, just a bit unlucky... his ankle injury was aggravated multiple times this year by guys running/falling on his leg. Just bad times.