ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

the manziel trick play

dc.

Again the refs didn't even know the rule. That is unconscionable. If West had not shifted and the play stood and they score from there and the Ravens lose it would have been a nightmare for the NFL. They have so much on their plate now but officials that don't know the rules would make mang look incompetent. I said before that I would never have brought these guys back. I would have kept the replacements forever.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/24/chris-baker-was-ejected-for-hit-that-doesnt-violate-the-rules/

In the aftermath of Sunday’s game, we reported that Baker won’t be suspended for the infraction. On Tuesday, NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent told the Washington Post that Baker won’t be fined — and apparently shouldn’t have even been penalized for the hit that sparked a brouhaha, which included the ejection of Eagles tackle Jason Peters.

The refs don't even know the rules of the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/23/manziel-play-should-have-drawn-a-different-penalty/

Per a league source, the Browns should have been penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct, because Manziel was within five yards of the sideline in his team’s bench area at the time the ball was snapped. Specifically, Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1(l) prohibits teams from “sing entering substitutes, legally returning players, substitutes on sidelines, or withdrawn players to confuse opponents, including lingering by players leaving the field after being replaced by a substitute and an offensive player lining up or going in motion less than five yards from the sideline in front of his team’s designated bench area. However, an offensive player is permitted to line up less than five yards from the sidelines on the same side as his team’s player bench, provided he is not in front of the designated bench area.”

So Manziel could have gotten away with it (absent the illegal shift) if he’d been at least five yards from the sideline, or if he’d been within five yards of the sideline but not in the designation bench area.

Actually, Manziel would have gotten away with it, but for the illegal shift. The officials missed the call. If West hadn’t been penalized, the play would have created one of the more controversial outcomes of the weekend.

Just what I was saying Sunday.

OK I am looking at the poor officiating. Actually it should have been a 15 yd penalty instead of the 5 they got. If the play stood and they got a FG at the min the game really could have changed right there. I bet you would be screaming like bloody murder if Cle won and that play got off.

But it never happened, so Im fine

I am not 100% sure it was a matter of them not knowing the rule (unless they have said that)... I think this was as much a "miss" on the play. They were probably equally fooled, not paying attention to Manziel, then suddenly he's in the play and you can't throw a flag for NOT seeing where a guy came from.