ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Restricted Free Agency

With all indications pointing towards an uncapped year in 2010, this should allow for a very interesting year for restricted free agency. Teams, hopefully the Ravens, can make this into a chess match and try 'undertender' players to accumulate draft picks.

The following is from BaltimoreRavens.com:

"The clock is counting down for the Ravens to offer tenders to their 17 restricted free agents, as March 4 is quickly approaching.

The Ravens certainly have a lengthy list of RFAs, and considering their free-agency limitations due to the “Final 8″ plan, they would benefit by re-signing as many as possible.

In what is shaping up to be an uncapped 2010 season, restricted free agents are players with three, four, or five accrued years of service. At the expiration of an RFA’s contract, the player’s old club retains the right to either match an offer he may get from another team or to receive draft choice compensation from the club making the offer.

The qualifying offer is based on the level of draft choices the old club wants to receive, and it is based on the veteran’s tenure.

For three-year vets, a $1.101 offer earns the right of refusal, $1.684 earns a second-round pick as compensation, $2.396 is a first-round tender, and $3.043 is worth first- and third-round picks.

For four-year players, $1.176 secures refusal, $1.759 would be a second-round pick offer, $2.521 is a first-round tender, and $3.168 is good for first and third selections.

And for five-year veterans, $1.226 is first refusal, $1.809 is the second-round pick tender, $2.621 goes for the first-round offer, and $3.268 gets the first and third.

Here is a list of the Ravens’ RFAs…

Third-Year: LB Antwan Barnes, QB John Beck, LB Prescott Burgess, OT Jared Gaither, TE Edgar Jones, FB Le’Ron McClain, QB Troy Smith, G/T Marshal Yanda

Fourth-Year: G/C Chris Chester, P Sam Koch, S Dawan Landry, G/T Tony Moll, WR Demetrius Williams

Fifth-Year: WR Mark Clayton, K Billy Cundiff, OT Adam Terry, CB Fabian Washington"

When looking at our RFA, there are definitely quality players that are either starters or big time role players; both being valuable to us and for other teams. This draft is extremely deep, with talks for a rookie wage scale looming many juniors decided to jump up to the NFL this year. As a result, there is a huge influx of talent with ridiculous value throughout.

My question is, opposed to other years when the draft isn't as deep and a salary cap exists should we try and 'undertender' starters and role players in hopes of picking up more draft picks.

For example, any other year Jared Gaither would be tendered the highest tender with 1st and 3rd round compensation. What if this year though, we gave him the second highest tender in hopes of someone attempting to sign him and we get a second first round draft pick? It is a win-win situation for us! Either no one bites and we retain him for less money or someone bites and we can either match their offer and sign him long term or lose him and get another 1st rounder for this year.

Gaither is young and has the makings of a great tackle but I don't see why we couldn't take the risk of playing this game. There are plenty of other OT prospects that may even be better than him. Also, if he were to leave we could move Oher to LT and draft a true RT or maybe Iupati from Idaho, a natural LG who is so gigantic he is being projected as a possible RT. This is just one scenario.

The following is how I would tender all of our RFA with a plan outlined:

Antwan Barnes, 2nd round tender...should be retained, if not get the better end of the deal!

John Beck, 2nd round tender...same as Barnes.

Prescott Burgess, lowest tender...no one will give up a draft pick for him if tendered higher so no point to tender him higher.

Jared Gaither, 1st round tender ONLY...see above explanation.

Edgar Jones, lowest tender...same as Burgess

Le'Ron McClain, 2nd round tender (possible 1st round)....same as Barnes, but hope to DEFINITELY retain, would consider matching any offer unless given 1st round tender.

Troy Smith, 2nd round tender...same as Beck, QBs should be retained for at least a tender with compensation. Willing to let go if someone signs.

Marshal Yanda, 1st round tender...a must keeper, would only let go if someone wants him bad enough to give up a 1st rounder!

Chris Chester, 2nd round tender...found some value as a blocking TE on goal line situation and can play any interior line position...has value to the team and therefore requires a compensatory tender.

Sam Koch, 2nd round tender...another must keep player, can't see anyone giving up a 2nd rounder for him though so this should be a safe play.

Dawan Landry, 2nd round tender...could come or go, couldn't care either way to be honest. Hasn't been the same since his spinal injury so if someone wants him for a 2nd rounder I am all for it.

Tony Moll, lowest tender...'nuff said for this cat!

Demetrius Williams, lowest tender vs 2nd round tender...someone would more than likely sign him for lowest tender so it just depends on if the Ravens care if he walks for free...

Mark Clayton, 2nd round tender...This is someone we want to tender low enough that we'd want someone to sign him! With Mason, Stallworth or board for next year (Mason will be back guys) and adding another vet through trade or FA and 2 draft picks and Marcus Smith coming back from injury Clayton has no spot...therefore, we get compensation for him to leave or he stays around 1 more year for cheaper than he would any other year when we may give him a 1st round tender.

Billy Cundiff, lowest tender...Not even certain to be back next year so this should be sufficient.

Adam Terry, 2nd round tender...Stay or go, who cares? At least this way if he signs we get compensated. Would not even consider matching though if he is signed.

Fabian Washington, 1st round tender...Given our CB situation with 2 of our top 3 CB having season ending ACL injuries (Washington and Webb) we will need to retain him for depth. Would only let walk if getting a solid 1st round draft pick in compensation.

Well, I know this post was kind of long winded but given the likelihood of an uncapped year it makes restricted free agency an even bigger mind game and I have a lot of thoughts about how we could seriously benefit from it this year!

What does everyone think? Am I on to something or just crazy?

Gaither is a keeper. So first and third, better.. Ozzie give Gaither the money, 5 or 7 years.

Koch, Landry and McClain 2.round tender.

As for Clayton I think you need to give him a firstrounder, financially there is not much difference anyway.

The rest low tenders.

Here's Hensleys take...he has it like you are saying geo...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.ravens02mar02,0,1723665.story

If Chester gets the low tender somebody will pick him up.

I think McLain should get the first round tender...he's a beast the rushing attack needs and other teams need too.

50222169.jpg

Here's an update on the UFA's...

NOTE: The Ravens have informed unrestricted free agent wide receivers Derrick Mason and Kelley Washington, defensive end Dwan Edwards, defensive tackle Justin Bannan and cornerback Frank Walker that they want them back. With the exception of Mason, there haven’t been any preliminary contract discussions. Mason is seeking a two-year deal with a lot of upfront money.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2010/03/02/sports/6_ravens_tenders.txt

Edited by vmax

We absolutely have to put the 1st and 3rd round tender on Gaither. That should be the starting point for a young, stud LT. What is the point of trading him for a 1st round pick then picking up an unproven OT in the draft to replace him.

That is liking trading in a Ferarri for a Fiat that might possibly turn into a Ferarri. Just plain dumb.

If someone wants to snap him up for a 1st and 3rd then we are onto something. With the depth in this draft we get an OT to replace him and then have a 3rd round pick to get our next Ladarius Webb or help with a trade for a WR etc. That should be the only scenario that sees Gaither leave Baltimore.

I think you put a 2nd round tender on Fabian Washington. If someone signs him then the Ravens get a 2nd round pick for a player they gave a 4th round pick for and is coming off an ACL. I think I would like to take a chance on one of the 2nd tier CBs in that case. Maybe Al Davis would be stupid enough to take him back for a 2nd round pick.

I don't think we will be tendering Demetrius Williams at all. His days are done in Baltimore after the comments that Hardbaugh made.

I don't think we tender Tony Moll. We could get him cheaper as a UFA on vet minimum.

Everything else I agree with.

We absolutely have to put the 1st and 3rd round tender on Gaither. That should be the starting point for a young, stud LT. What is the point of trading him for a 1st round pick then picking up an unproven OT in the draft to replace him.

That is liking trading in a Ferarri for a Fiat that might possibly turn into a Ferarri. Just plain dumb.

If someone wants to snap him up for a 1st and 3rd then we are onto something. With the depth in this draft we get an OT to replace him and then have a 3rd round pick to get our next Ladarius Webb or help with a trade for a WR etc. That should be the only scenario that sees Gaither leave Baltimore.

I think you put a 2nd round tender on Fabian Washington. If someone signs him then the Ravens get a 2nd round pick for a player they gave a 4th round pick for and is coming off an ACL. I think I would like to take a chance on one of the 2nd tier CBs in that case. Maybe Al Davis would be stupid enough to take him back for a 2nd round pick.

I don't think we will be tendering Demetrius Williams at all. His days are done in Baltimore after the comments that Hardbaugh made.

I don't think we tender Tony Moll. We could get him cheaper as a UFA on vet minimum.

Everything else I agree with.

A low tender will automatically be a second round for Fabian, and a third round for Chester, Beck and Terry. A new rule when we give the max tender to the low rounder to Gaither, then the low tender for first rounders will be a second round and the second rounders will get a third rounder, we had another thread that explained.. I think Max posted it.

Moll agreed. DW.. a low tender.. It is so little money, so I would like to see him around at least to the OTAs.