ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

We may see more trades and RFA deals this year

vmax

I read this article by Banks while trying to get a grasp on how the Free Agent market will work this year. I'm trying to see how Ozzie can move players off the roster while upgrading the talent pool and he has a decent hand as far as the amount of RFA's on the Ravens roster. He can increase his draft picks with lower tenders hoping teams will be tempted to take some of his RFA's, use high tenders to make some trade deals to get some good draft picks (again...hoping teams will overspend on picks because they are desperate to upgrade a position) and he can shop picks for RFA's who he thinks would be of higher value than the picks he has to surrender to get them.

To have a successfull 2010 FA period the Ravens have to be creative and aggressive in this area because the UFA cubbard is bare. I get the sense that this could happen from the Ravens 'State of the Ravens' press conference because they seemed comfortable that they had the talent and the smarts to do well in and unstable market.

As one veteran personnel man told me: "Teams will be hesitant to give up picks in this draft. There's some real value in this draft, so teams want as many picks this year as they can get. But I think there will be some action in the restricted market, with people looking for bargains. If a guy is tendered in the fourth round, and he's better than what you can get in the fourth round, teams are going to go after that player.

"We've got some restricted guys that we frankly hope some teams come after, just to get the draft picks. If someone says they're interested, we'll say you can have them, and you don't even have to overpay. We'll work out a trade then.''

More than one club executive told me he expected the trade market to be more active than ever next month, because with unrestricted and restricted free agency expected to be so limited this year, only the draft and trades remain as ways to upgrade rosters.

"It may be a situation where there are more trades, because if a club tendered a lot of guys, but now someone comes after one of them, maybe they're willing to be flexible and work with you on a trade,'' another veteran NFL general manager said. "Just because his tender is a (first) and a (third)-round pick, maybe they're willing to take less than that and be creative, and now you've got a deal. I think there's going to be a lot of that type of dialogue because of the circumstances this year.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/02/18/offseason/index.html

Two posts from very reputable posters over on the Ravens board at the OH:

Boldin to Baltimore?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take this with a grain of salt.

Anyway, one of my co-workers has a friend whose son works for the Ravens. I'm not sure in what capacity, so once again, please take this with a grain of salt.

Supposedly, the Ravens are in contract negotiations with Anquan Boldin. That's all I've heard. Like I said, I don't know in what capacity this guy works for the Ravens but that's the hot rumor I just heard and I figured I'd share it here.

Please don't call for my head if it doesn't come to pass

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93309

Here is a quote from a guy who is an insider, his info is usually pretty legit.

There's been preliminary contact with the Cards and they think they can get something done. A player's agent told me that he's hearing that the Cardinals and Ravens are close to a deal. We'll see, agents tend to exaggerate to one extreme or the other.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93239&page=9

Take all this with a grain of salt, of course. But if we got Boldin for the right price, I would be extremely happy.

So let me jump the gun here...

Would we be satisfied with a WR corp of Boldin, Mason, Stallworth, and Clayton/Washington/someone else?

I would be very happy with a WR corp of Boldin, Mason, Stallworth, Clayton, and a high round rookie (could be a tight-end like Gresham). Give us a receiver that can make plays like this and we will be just fine (fast forward to :45):

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d814c59c2/WK-13-Anquan-Boldin-highlights

And what exactly are we supposedly giving up for Boldin, in the event of a trade? Not a 1st-rounder?

I would guess that Boldin's value has dropped since last year because of injuries, he is in the last year of his deal (less leverage), and will turn 30 in the middle of this upcoming season. I would think a first rounder would be way too much. Possibly he could be acquired for a second rounder? Or maybe even for a Willis McGahee-type deal, a third this year and a third next year? I think either of those would be fair. Remember, we acquired TO back in 2004 when he was 30-years old for a second rounder (he would turn 31 that season, so he was a year older than Boldin is this year). I would guess that would be the most we would offer.

I would guess that Boldin's value has dropped since last year because of injuries, he is in the last year of his deal (less leverage), and will turn 30 in the middle of this upcoming season. I would think a first rounder would be way too much. Possibly he could be acquired for a second rounder? Or maybe even for a Willis McGahee-type deal, a third this year and a third next year? I think either of those would be fair. Remember, we acquired TO back in 2004 when he was 30-years old for a second rounder (he would turn 31 that season, so he was a year older than Boldin is this year). I would guess that would be the most we would offer.

And while a healthy Boldin is certainly worth a 2nd rounder (and probably a 1st), what is the value of an injury-ridden, 30-year-old receiver? Is it higher than that of a young, highly-regarded 2nd-round receiver like Demaryius Thomas/Gilyard/LaFell/whoever? And if so, is it a lot higher, or closer to even? Because we're looking for guys who will actually be available for playoff games, and that's not something you know with Boldin.

And while a healthy Boldin is certainly worth a 2nd rounder (and probably a 1st), what is the value of an injury-ridden, 30-year-old receiver? Is it higher than that of a young, highly-regarded 2nd-round receiver like Demaryius Thomas/Gilyard/LaFell/whoever? And if so, is it a lot higher, or closer to even? Because we're looking for guys who will actually be available for playoff games, and that's not something you know with Boldin.

That is a good point, but on the flip side Demaryius Thomas/Gilyard/LaFell are not proven 80-100-catch, 1000-1400-yard, around 8 TD guys. Boldin's ankle injury was a fluke injury, nothing chronic. Like I stated, his value is probably a second round pick, maybe a little less. For that, I think it would be worth the risk.

That is a good point, but on the flip side Demaryius Thomas/Gilyard/LaFell are not proven 80-100-catch, 1000-1400-yard, around 8 TD guys. Boldin's ankle injury was a fluke injury, nothing chronic. Like I stated, his value is probably a second round pick, maybe a little less. For that, I think it would be worth the risk.

His ankle, perhaps, but he was hampered with a groin injury during the season as well. For some reason, it seems like he is injured more than other receivers.

Here is an update from the insider over on the OH:

Small update:

Malcolm Floyd is still in the discussion but Boldin appears to be the favorite. There's also interest in free agent WR Kevin Walter.

Hearing that Miami is going to make a big push for Derrick Mason.

I'm going to be talking to a couple of player's agents on Monday so I'll post what I hear.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2051100#post2051100

The rumours going about last season had the best offer that the Cards received for Bolding being a 3rd round pick and a depth player. All that is happened is that Boldin has got a year older, been injured again and this year's draft is deeper than last years.

That would put the price at a 3rd rounder and perhaps a young unproven player or a conditional draft pick for 2011, like a 4th rounder if the Ravens reach the superbowl, 5th rounder if Boldin makes the pro bowl and so on.

If we give up a 2nd rounder we were robbed.

EDIT: This is Boldin's final year of his contract. That reduces his price even further. The Cards get nothing for him next year except maybe for a compensation pick in the 2012 draft.