ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Maryland/ Puke

vmax

Great first half until the Terps let them back in it towards the end....trouble with Pukes zone D.

As usual, I'm a nervous wreck...Terps up by 2 and the fans are outstanding.

Need their best game of the year to win this one.

54-49 Terps up...11 minutes to go...blood pressure and heart rate up...:)

Bowie giving valuble play off the bench...Williams playing great...crowd just insane.

Fantastic game and win!

cs_258.jpg

Thank You Gary and Maryland for some outstanding basketball down the stretch! Williams, Vasquez, Mosley, BGowie, Milburne, Gregory, Hayes,,,all of you.

First place tie...a win over Virgina clinches an ACC Title banner.

ncaa-tournament.gif

Nope, because as long as the Terps win, they get at least a share of the title. That's all it takes.

That aint what the Radio is reporting...Duke would own the 2nd tie breaker over the Terps if they both win,

Fear-the-Turtle-150x220.jpg

You're right, they would. That just means they get the #1 seed in the tournament. If the record is the same, we get a share of the title no matter what.

Terps fans in trouble again for the cursing at the game which came through on air... again.

Now, I don't really advocate chanting the f-bomb so loud it's heard on national tv. Or chanting the f-bomb at all, really. I mean saying it, whatever. Chanting? eh.

But, some people are going overboard on it. I tend to agree with the sentiment that it's certainly no worse than when Duke fans would change "Crack head parents" to Juan Dixon or "USA" at Greivis.

I also tend to disagree with the sentiment that it's any less mature or less creative than those. I don't need witty chants. That's what signs are for. Terps fans make plenty of witty signs.

Anyway... I wish Terps fans would cut it a bit. I was as rowdy as anyone at the games, but the f-bombs are silly. So is the rioting. What's sad is I still remember some freshman coming in when I was there saying stuff about how "they came here for its rioting and ridiculously stupid fans!" ?? Really?? That's how you chose your college?

27 fans arrested for rioting after the game. UMD's policy says they all get expelled. I bet that will quiet it down.

I thought this was a great college game, especially how Duke was not really Duke, kinda taken out of their plan for lots of the time. I hate the "USA" chants against Vasquez, moreso that the Terps fans lower themselves to that level; don't want to be called out on air like WVU fans for taunting and throwing stuff onto the court. Greivis certainly has a knack for bringing out the ire in his opponents' fans, but he has really been great, saving his better performances for the most important times; good to see Juan Dixon in the stands to enjoy it (I still read my 2002 commemorative SI edition of Terps' championship). Maybe the years have gone by too quickly lately but it's hard to fathom how Vasquez has climbed the stats ladder at MD, I guess I payed much more attention to Juan's ascent. This recent incarnation of the Terps looks pretty solid going into the ACC tourney and beyond, providing Vasquez keeps his edge and play on (like those Championship terps went the way of Juan.) Looking forward to every game.

I often wonder about how Vasquez has made the climb too... but he's been starting for just about his entire four years and for the middle two of them was about the only 'weapon' the Terps had - as much as I dislike him for many reasons.

I remember discussing with my friend at a game earlier this year if his jersey will be retired... and at first it was kind of hard to fathom. Despite some of his numbers, his teams had only made the NCAA Tourney once in his three years. And this year was not looking great at that point.

I think that since his numbers have improved throughout his career, and that he seems to play best in clutch situations (today's effort was no different, finally coming on later in the game after a weak initial 2nd-half performance), says a lot about him being 1.) Able "to learn from every situation" as Gary put it after they beat UVA today, 2.) Able to use his intensity for mostly positive results, and will himself and his team to victory (even when he hadn't too much of a team around him, like against NC last year), and 3.) Build some impressive overall numbers (like his points-assists-rebounds ACC record). He is definitely annoying at points and does some silly things (he hasn't taunted crowds on the road as much this year, but he has a history) but I think his overall on-the-court performance definitely merits special position in MD history. We'll see what kind of tournament capstone effort he can make; I think Hayes will be important there.

I think that since his numbers have improved throughout his career, and that he seems to play best in clutch situations (today's effort was no different, finally coming on later in the game after a weak initial 2nd-half performance), says a lot about him being 1.) Able "to learn from every situation" as Gary put it after they beat UVA today, 2.) Able to use his intensity for mostly positive results, and will himself and his team to victory (even when he hadn't too much of a team around him, like against NC last year), and 3.) Build some impressive overall numbers (like his points-assists-rebounds ACC record). He is definitely annoying at points and does some silly things (he hasn't taunted crowds on the road as much this year, but he has a history) but I think his overall on-the-court performance definitely merits special position in MD history. We'll see what kind of tournament capstone effort he can make; I think Hayes will be important there.

I agree and disagree with points here...

I mean, he has certainly improved in many ways throughout his career. In fact, I think his biggest jump was between last year and this year - between being a ball hog and being a team player, a solo artists vs a leader. I give GV a lot of credit for that actually - as much as it pains me.

But at the same time, his annoying points were not only against rivals. He taunted his OWN FANS multiple times. Classic Albert Belle, even, at one time: when booed for his performance and attitude problems, he cursed out a large part of the student section.

And as for his overall performance? Again, it's been stellar from an individual standpoint. But its lacked the great games and great results (as a team) that great players get. Two NCAA tournaments in four years certainly sounds a lot better than 1 in 4. But it's not fantastic. Early ACC tournament losses. Bad losses on the road and at home to bad teams (including this year!)... I just don't entirely feel it right now.

If we have a good showing in the ACC tourney (2 wins?) AND the NCAA tourney (1 or 2 wins depending on matchups)... I might feel better. But right I feel icky thinking that GV is going to be one of just 17 (I think) players to have their jersey hanging above the court. For such a storied and successful program, I don't know how that makes me feel.

Wow, comparing anyone to Albert belle is pretty harsh in my book; Greivis in my mind had emotion that sometimes took him to the dark side, keep in mind the cultural differences Gary points out in some espn interviews, between venezuelan and american sports societies; Belle was just... well, dark hearted, no genuine emotion, just cruelty. I have no problem with Terps hanging up his jersey, I think that'd look better in the Comcast rafters than, for instance, Sheldon Williams' in Cameron indoor. Also, Vasquez's types of accumulated ACC numbers (points, assists and rebounds) look much better for a guard than Sheldon's under-the-bucket-clean-up-the-mess blocks and rebounds (of course that's what he could offer, but I say Vasquez's game is more rounded at his position than some other hallowed 4-yr ACC starters of note.) I will say that he does lay the occasional bad egg, and for no apparent reason, and the team seems to rely on him enough to lose in those situations where he can't put out (that also speaks to not having a consistently productive supporting cast, Hayes being inconsistent and waiting for Milbourne and Mosley to really arrive, and yes finally another young-but-coming low poster in Jordan Williams finally taking pressure off the perimeter game) So I think that needs to be taken into account not for judging Vasquez's worthiness of canonizing but just his overall contribution to the history of MD B-ball. Anyway, UMD needs to take advantage of showing some historic wares. More turtle power.