ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Cody's gone, Smith charges dropped, Hill still up in the air

vmax

Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith's misdemeanor disorderly conduct case has been dismissed, according to his lawyer, Warren Alperstein..http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-corner-jimmy-smiths-disorderly-conduct-case-dismissed-lawyer-says-20150202-story.html

he Ravens officially terminated the contract of Terrence Cody on Monday just about an hour before the Baltimore County Police announced that the veteran defensive tackle was indicted by a Baltimore County Grand Jury for animal cruelty.

Cody faces 15 charges, the most serious one involving two felony counts of aggravated animal cruelty, related to the death of his dog, a Bullmastiff from Spain. Those charges are punishable by a maximum of three years apiece in prison, and up to a $5,000 fine if convicted.

He is also charged with five misdemeanor counts of animal abuse or neglect involving the same dog, punishable by up to 90 days and a $1,000 fine per count.Cody was also charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia, and possession of marijuana.http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-officially-terminate-terrence-codys-contract-20150202-story.html

It's the off season police blog.

And not related to the Ravens, but Warren Sapp got busted for soliciting a prostitute. How the NFL kept him on their talk shows is beyond me with all the baggage he carries.

Edited by vmax

Cody's agent, Peter Schaffer, told The Baltimore Sun last week that Cody had taken the Bullmastiff, which he paid $8,000 for, to see a veterinarian for treatment and then the dog subsequently died.

"The fact that the NFL has created such an atmosphere of hysteria that tramples on due process rights, the right of law and common decency is a tremendous problem in our league and our society," Schaffer said. "This young man’s dog has died, and the Ravens were so worried about possible ramifications from the league that they took a pre-emptive strike. If I find out that anyone holds anything against my client because of this, I will take every and all legal action to make sure my client's rights are vindicated and that he’s made whole.

""He loves this dog. Why would he have the dog treated otherwise? This guy is the salt of the earth. You would hope the state attorney in Maryland would be investigating the real crime and real issues. I would hope for the citizens of Baltimore County and Baltimore City that they would expect their public tax dollars to be used on real criminal issues."http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-officially-terminate-terrence-codys-contract-20150202-story.html

Now maybe what Cody's agent says is true and the fact that he's an NFL player made the county go all out on him because they know they will be under a microscope.

Maybe Cody was too stoned and let the gator chew up the dog.

How is there insufficient evidence for not following a lawful order? He wouldn't leave the women's room.

Failure to obey a lawful order is one of those tricky/hard to convict charges. All Jimmy Smith would have to do is say that he did not know or understand that he was being ordered to leave by the police officer. It would be up to the state to prove that he did understand. The fact that the case was dismissed (nol pros) tells me that the state more likely than not, offered to place the case on the stet docket. (which means the case is placed on the inactive docket for 1 year, so long as Jimmy gets into no more trouble with the law for 1 year) If this was the case, Jimmy's lawyer probably rejected this, instead deciding to go to trial, believing that he would win the case based on the evidence of refusing to obey. Smith, being a so called VIP in the community, and with alot on the line, the state probably felt that it was not worth it to go to trial. That's my educated guess, based on my knowledge and experience of the criminal judicial system. It's merely an educated guess.