ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The New England Patriots were found to most likely

tsylvester

I absolutely believe this is a case of enough is enough. The Pats have got caught with their hand in the cookie jar once too often and the NFL has grown tired of having to defend the integrity of the Pats' championships. From Spygate to Deflategate each one of the Pat's Superbowl wins has been brought into question. This is a case of the NFL telling the Pats that any transgression no matter how small will be met with the full force of the leagues disciplinary actions from now on and it's about time.

• 4 weeks later...

Brady wins appeal, maybe, could have, might have, not good enough for a court of law. Especially after the evidence surficed that the NFL purposely lied to Mort about the amount of air pressure....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/judge-lets-brady-play-ruling-against-nfl-in-deflategate/ar-AAdTXsh?ocid=U142DHP

A federal judge let the air out of "Deflategate" Thursday, erasing New England quarterback Tom Brady's four-game suspension for a controversy the NFL claimed threatened football's integrity.

U.S. District Judge Richard M. Berman criticized NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for dispensing "his own brand of industrial justice."

Berman said Goodell went too far in affirming punishment of the Super Bowl winning quarterback. Brady has insisted he played no role in a conspiracy to deflate footballs below the allowable limit at last season's AFC championship game.

The suspension was "premised upon several significant legal deficiencies" including the failure to notify Brady of potential penalties, Berman wrote in his opinion, noting that an arbitrator's factual findings are generally not open to judicial challenge.

Per the CBA, fyi, IF Brady did in fact deflate or have the footballs deflated, a fine was the max the NFL could do to any player labled under the integraty of the game...

"Because there was no notice of a four-game suspension in the circumstances presented here, Commissioner Goodell may be said to have `dispensed his own brand of industrial justice,'" Berman wrote, partially citing wording from a previous case.

Berman's ruling does not necessarily end the dispute. The league can appeal. Neither side's top lawyer immediately responded to an email seeking comment.

The judge said Brady had no notice of his possible suspension for general awareness of ball deflation by others or participation in any scheme to deflate football and for not cooperating with an investigation.

Schmucks article today in The Sun on this is a good counter, though. The judge's opinion is equally illogical in many regards. For one, if the judge was set in the notion that any punishment was in fact a violation of the CBA, why send them to mediation?

And I take issue with your first sentence. As your quotes show, the judge had little to say about guilt - in fact, that's not even really his job - he only cared about punishment.

In the end, I'm tired of the whole thing. Sure, the courts are where labor disputes are settled. But Bradyt and the NFL shouldn't get such precedence over every other docket. Something tells me if I was suspended from work and sued over it, I would not have it sorted out, including appeals, before my next check was due.

• Upvote 1