ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

It's Capitalism not Patriotism

vmax

All this patriotic stuff before and during games is just marketing by the NFL and Department of Defense.

They're cashing in on our love of country.

the Department of Defense is paying millions of dollars to many NFL teams in what are essentially paid promotions to honor America's heroes.

When the Jets paused to honor soldiers of the New Jersey Army National Guard at home games during the past four years, it was more than a heartfelt salute to the military — it was also worth a good stack of taxpayer money, records show. The Department of Defense and the Jersey Guard paid the Jets a total of $377,000 from 2011 to 2014 for the salutes and other advertising, according to federal contracts. Overall, the Defense Department has paid 14 NFL teams $5.4 million during that time, of which $5.3 million was paid by the National Guard to 11 teams under similar contracts.

This does not mean, of course, that all halftime events featuring troops or veterans are paid promotions. However, the fact that many are could undermine such efforts and "leaves a bad taste in your mouth" one lawmaker said.

"Those of us go to sporting events and see them honoring the heroes," said Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake in an interview with NJ.com. "You get a good feeling in your heart. Then to find out they're doing it because they're compensated for it, it leaves you underwhelmed. It seems a little unseemly."

It's hardly a secret that the NFL is one of the leading recruitment vehicles for the U.S. military. The problem, Flake implies, is that these events are portrayed as genuine moments of gratitude expressed to America's servicemen, not advertisements.

The Department of Defense offers a breakdown (below) of payments since 2011. Teams that received taxpayer funds include the Baltimore Ravens ($799,000), Cincinnati Bengals ($138,960) Cleveland Browns ($22,500), the Green Bay Packers ($600,000), Pittsburgh Steelers, ($36,000) Minnesota Vikings ($605,000), Atlanta Falcons ($1,049,500) Indianapolis Colts ($620,000), Buffalo Bills ($679,000), Dallas Cowboys ($62,500), Miami Dolphins ($20,000), Kansas City Chiefs ($250,000), St. Louis Rams ($60,000), and the afore-mentioned Jets.http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-teams-paid-to-thank-troops-at-games/ar-BBjrIxA

I know a lot of coaches like Harbaugh....and players, are sincere about their support for our troops. I know we, the fans, are.

I also felt that something dark was lingering around this, because corporate America loves to market patriotism to promote their products, companies and brand names. It's not just the NFL.

Couldn't agree more. Politicians are the same. Talk big but ignore them when the rubber hits the road.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2015/02/politics-senator-jeff-sessions-refers-to-veterans-benefits-as-entitlement/

Before passing the bill, senators voted 75-19 to turn aside objections to its cost raised by Republican Jeff Sessions of Alabama. “I feel strongly we’ve got to do the right thing for our veterans. But I don’t think we should create a blank check, an unlimited entitlement program, now,” Sessions said. - See more at: