ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Edsall has to go

vmax

I don't understand what's not to like about Durkin, except that he's not a big name?

Durkin was rated the top recruiter in the NATION in 2012 by Rivals. In the B1G, we need that more than ever and have more leverage than ever. He just led a dominant defensive unit.

Mostly, I also love his contract - huge payouts to UMD if he leaves us early (possible) and good that we only pay percentages of his salary if we fire him.

As for "winning a national championship" - while that's the goal, that's not where this team or program are. We are in gaining reputation and performance mode. And honestly, I'd take a guy like Durkin (or Richt) and 100 years of playing good football and comepting in the Top 25 without complaining about the "national championship" being missing. How long did guys like Boeheim (bball) have to wait for a title? Who "will get one" is just a crap shoot unless you get "the guy."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what's not to like about Durkin, except that he's not a big name?

Durkin was rated the top recruiter in the NATION in 2012 by Rivals. In the B1G, we need that more than ever and have more leverage than ever. He just led a dominant defensive unit.

Mostly, I also love his contract - huge payouts to UMD if he leaves us early (possible) and good that we only pay percentages of his salary if we fire him.

As for "winning a national championship" - while that's the goal, that's not where this team or program are. We are in gaining reputation and performance mode. And honestly, I'd take a guy like Durkin (or Richt) and 100 years of playing good football and comepting in the Top 25 without complaining about the "national championship" being missing. How long did guys like Boeheim (bball) have to wait for a title? Who "will get one" is just a crap shoot unless you get "the guy."

DC I completely agree with you. It is a low risk, potentially high reward hire (low risk unless you count time value of the opportunity cost of hiring someone of Chip Kelly's stature).

I am not a Terps fan, however, I spoke with a Terps fan who is heavily invested and the problem seems to lie with Kevin Anderson. He set the expectation that this would be a big hire, and went as far as comparing UMD to an East Coast Oregon alluding to Chip Kelly all but in name.

I was told the consensus among Terps fans is that Anderson botched the Sean Miller negotiations after Gary retired, and botched negotiations with Richt. I don't know how true any of it is, but Anderson is not a popular guy apparently among boosters.

So I think it's nothing personal against Durkin. However, a coach like Durkin if he does well at a school like UMD, there's always the threat he bolts to OSU, Texas, LSU, Alabama down the road. But I guess that's a good problem to have?

I know people hate Anderson. I think it's misdirected in some ways (cleaning up Yows disaster) but also just totally misunderstood, especially regarding football. Anderson is not trying to build a program that many think, or rather, he's not planning to do it with money. He's using the program to support others and using it to get the B1G promotions - all of which are major wins for the rest of the athletic program and the university.

As for Sean Miller, again, I think it comes to not being able it willing to spend money. In the end, like with Durkin, Anderson got a major recruiting asset that will be worth a lot more than his coaching resume.

• 10 months later...