ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

World Cup Soccer

cravnravn

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely down for this, especially now with the improved internet viewing (I think espn3.com has replaced the espn360.com that started way back in the 2002 world cup). I don't like the US's chances, against England, or making it out of group play, let alone advancing beyond... but you never know...

I'm always into it... In 02 I was up at 3 or 4am to watch the SK matches.

Meanwhile... been haunted over buying a jersey all day...

I love the US, but find their jerseys and stuff boring - just like in the Olympics and all. But they are still on the list.

Meanwhile, have always liked Spain, Italy and Argentina.

Also like Ireland, but they aren't even in it this year. :(

Suggestions??

Also like Ireland, but they aren't even in it this year. :(

Yeah they were robbed by those onion smelling, garlic wearing surrender monkeys from across the Channel when Thierry Henry handled the ball.

FIFA either have to get video replays installed for games or do something about all the cheating.

He's right. :)

Though, I will say that I don't think Henry cheated. It was not intentional or at least not 'conscious.'

I am torn on replay in soccer just like in baseball. The officials are incredibly good at on/off side, handball, etc etc... the 'slip ups' like in that game are very, very rare. So do you slow down/stop the game (a game that is always played continuously) or let them go?

The problem with stopping the game is that we obviously won't be stopping just for calls that were wrong... there will be questions at all times, just like in football... but that doesn't work with a continuous 90 minute clock.

Good luck to the U.S.A tonight. There will be an extra 5 million people in Scotland cheering yous on.

Its a pitty we're not there, but now we're cheering on A.B.E (Anyone but England)

What's up with England's goal keeper? He just handed the USA a point.

Lucky goal for US, nice to get a draw against the sure favorite in the group. I liked how the US team played with increased confidence and cohesion through the game; Altidore is nice to watch, Oneywu played well I thought, Howard played great (despite being cleated by Heskey.) I can't wait for Serbia v. Ghana, and Germany v. The Aussies tomorrow, should be entertaining.

I'm always into it... In 02 I was up at 3 or 4am to watch the SK matches.

I remember watching the US/Germany game that year at the Hubcap Inn on Belair road at some ridiculous hour (I think it was 3 or 4 am), I had breakfast, watched the game and met with people (Nestor Aparicio had his crew on hand), then went to work!

... It's in South Africa.

Games have been starting at 7:30am ... that's how it goes.

Remember, we were just talking about how when it was in South Korea you had to watch at 3 or 4 am?

It will likely be replayed on Friday night... but still.

Damn, those Krauts could've really pummeled the Aussies but for some missed chances, 4-0 was generous. Germany looks like there usually capable selves, Australia not so much like the version from '06. How 'bout Ghana with their 3-point effort? Their colors were rockin' in the stands; the African teams lookin' good so far. I didn't get much of a look at the S.Korea match but they apparently dominated. I will try to be up in a few hours for the next round, lotsa fun so far.

Wow, Japan beats Cameroon? that is surely an 'upset', and Paraguay taking Italy to the brink of utter disaster is also a big moment for the underdogs (although Italy is a notoriously slow starting team and had their share of 'adversity' to overcome leading into the '06 cup). I like the way this first round is going in the early stages, some of the higher ranked teams getting tested.

That last minute goal for New Zealand was huge. Imagine being the defending cup champions, and being #1 in their group now due only to alphabetizing. "We're # I! We're # I!" Well, "I" is Roman numeral for 1... . The standings in Group F may never look any better for NZ but I love it right now, for them.

OMG THAT WIN BY THE SWISS WAS HUGE, EASILY THE BIGGEST UPSET SO FAR!!! I can't wait to watch the replay tonight, only listened to it on espn radio. Clockwork defense by switzerland, apparently, and one huge goal. I hated that there was not only an absurd amount of stoppage time at the end (5 f'n minutes!) but that the refs really milked it out, giving the Spaniards every chance imagineable to tie it up. but to no avail, and now group H seems to be Chile's for the taking, unless the Swiss can come up with another upset.

Many people have been saying it's been a "bad start" to the Cup but I can't disagree more. First week is always a little slow, but there's been plenty of fun.

Blowouts and draws alike have been fun to watch. The France-Uruguay game was pretty brutal, but that's about it.

Loved Argentina's first match... Brazil-NK was great... Germany alone was fun to watch, might be my new 'favorite'... what are people complaining about?

what are people complaining about?

I'd have to say observing a very slow, low scoring and tedious sport. Dude I've been trying. I really have, but the best I can do is watch games...excuse me, matches the USA is involved in. The rest is like watching flies f**k.

I just don't get this game.

I just don't get this game.

Whats not to get? There are the most in shape player of any sport. I find it humorous that all the talk shows can talk about is the buzzing of the vuvuzela horns, and how Americans hate it...I love it, we are the only country complaining about them. Even the BP Brits like them.

Soccer = the 2000 Ravens, not alot of Offense, but dam what a defence.