ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ref admits giving Stealers SB win

vmax

At least he finally 'man-uped' and admitted to what we all saw

RENTON, Wash. -- NFL referee Bill Leavy acknowledged he made mistakes in the Seattle Seahawks' 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that," said the veteran of 15 NFL seasons and two Super Bowls. "It left me with a lot of sleepless nights, and I think about it constantly," Leavy said of the game in February 2006. "I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better."

Several calls went against the Seahawks in their 21-10 loss to the Steelers. It was Seattle's only Super Bowl appearance.

Leavy didn't specify which plays he "kicked" that day in Detroit. Early in the fourth quarter, tackle Sean Locklear was called for holding on a pass completion that would have put the Seahawks at the Pittsburgh 1, in position for the go-ahead touchdown. After the penalty, Matt Hasselbeck threw an interception, and then was called for a low block on a play that ended with him tackling Pittsburgh's Ike Taylor on the defensive back's return.

The next day, then-Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren told fans at a civic gathering at Qwest Field, "I knew it was going to be tough going up against the Pittsburgh Steelers. I didn't know we were going to have to play the guys in the striped shirts, as well."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5444048

The Seahawks had them on the ropes and were driving for a TD when he singly handedly turned that game around. The momentum was totally going the Seahawks way. It was a few calls against the Seahawks...not one or two...that

kept killing Seahawk drives.

On a day when Rthsxlxssbrgrrr totally sucked...one of the worst SB performances by a QB in NFL history...a day when there is no way a team can win with QB play like that...well, having the Ref's on their side working against the Seahawks was the only way the Stealers could win.

steelerssuck.jpg