ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Lamar Jackson says Ravens offense diminished since defenses are 'calling out our plays'

papasmurfbell

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-ravens-lamar-jackson-defenses-calling-out-ravens-plays-diminished-offense-215254439.html

“They're calling out our plays, stuff like that,” Jackson said. “They know what we're doing. Sometimes stuff won't go our way if they're beating us to the punch.”

Eisen asked if Jackson was hearing defenses call out the plays and Jackson confirmed that was the case.

“Yeah, they definitely do,” Jackson said. “Like, ‘run’ and stuff like that. ‘Watch out for this, watch out for that.’ Sometimes that's what's going on.”

Defenses have called out the deliberate play calling after games.

“We know where Lamar wants to go,” Cincinnati Bengals safety Jessie Bates said, via NBC Sports. “Either ‘15’ [Brown] or ‘89’ [Andrews]. It showed up today as well. That’s all he was really throwing to, was ‘15’ or ‘89.’ We didn’t make the plays where it was at that point in time.”

Good find and this is concerning.

Lamar did not sound encouraging about this being something they could correct. He mumbled something about maybe at halftime we can adjust. That won't get it.

Then he mumbled something...maybe twice about the play calling.

Heard an interesting take this AM on NFL Network  - Ed McCafferty.  He said D are always calling plays - several - and they are bound to get one right :).

He implied this is a non starter and QB are always constantly adjusting throughout the game  much less halftime. 

My two cents -  Lamar and GRO need to be on same page especially w NE & Bellicheat calling Sunday night.          

Marquise Brown and Mark Andrews are heavily targeted in the Ravens’ passing game. They have combined for nearly half of the receiving targets this season (93 of 208). The Bengals, though they knew what to do, couldn’t do it and they each had a first-half touchdown in the 27-3 win.

This is what actually concerned me from the article the most.  Basically they are just keying 2 guys in the pass game.  That might be why Snead gets hot for a game and he goes off so big.  They are ignoring the other receivers.  That goes back to getting Duv and Porche on the field to make teams honest.

2 hours ago, papasmurfbell said:

This is what actually concerned me from the article the most.  Basically they are just keying 2 guys in the pass game.  That might be why Snead gets hot for a game and he goes off so big.  They are ignoring the other receivers.  That goes back to getting Duv and Porche on the field to make teams honest.

That's weeks old news.

OC responds:

"With no fans in the stands, bands or music playing, you can hear a lot right about now – some of it I can't repeat," Roman said. "That's definitely part of what we talk about."

What's not new is defenders trying to guess offense's plays and relaying that information to their teammates.

"I can talk about Ed Reed and Ray Lewis on every play trying to guess what play you're going to run based on what they're seeing. That's the chess match," Roman said.

"They're going to be right sometimes and they're going to be wrong sometimes. I think we know that. But it's definitely an element of the game. It always has been and probably always will be." "We work hard to change it up," Roman said. "We're very aware of our tendencies. We're aware that there are some right now. … When you're good at something and you can keep pressing that button, then you have the opportunity to flip the script at some point moving forward." "If you're not good at anything, you have no tendencies," Roman said. "You really want to work to be good at everything. If you're in the best possible situation, you can do basic things very well and people still can't stop you. I think that's what you're striving to do.".....https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/greg-roman-responds-to-defenses-calling-out-ravens-plays

1228495690.jpg.jpg

Of course you try to guess on plays but it could easily be worse than that.  When I played in HS we had a game against Paint Branch.  They had a RB that was killing it through about 5 games of the season.  He was well on his way to being all met.  When Mon came before that game the coaching staff said they have big tells.  From about 4 different formations they ran their whole offense.  From those formations they wold run at most 2 plays for him to carry the ball.  Their QB was trash.  So stop the run game stop their offense.  All wee it was the scout team getting into those formations and the D was screaming watch the sweep right on one play or belly belly on the next.  So the D was able to sell out and swamp the play at the point of attack.  I dont think he broke 50 yds on the game.  The game was effectively done by half.  Their team tried to accuse us of cheating.  It was their fault for being to simplistic.

The offense as it is run now is to simplistic.  They need more possibilities out of every play.  Make it more of a question of what is coming,  Get your rookie weapons on the field already.