ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Perfect Recipe for Blowing 6-0 Lead

Well, you start with a 6-0 lead (which should have been 10-0 with all the stranded baseruners in the first 5 innings). Insert your absolute worst relief pitcher - either Gonzalez or Rapada - to help squander the lead. Then put in your next worse relief guy and, while crossing fingers and holding breath, hope he dont blow the whole lead. Now, after the entire momentum has clearly shifted, put in your closer and hope he preserves the lead in the 9th. Yep, that ought to do it !

Just keep the toes and fingers crossed that, that wasnt a season changer..That kind of game could really do damage to a young club.

Crav,

This game sort of reminds me of an early season game about 5 yrs ago @ Fenway. It was the same deal - we were playing fairly well, had a ninth inning lead, and Armando Benitz gave up a 3 run tater (or maybe grand slam). The team, which I think was managed by Lee Mazilli ?, never recovered and began a season long free fall. So yes, lets hope its not a season changer.

Maybe Buck's preseason little snips at the Yanks and Bosox (in ESPN) are now biting him in the buttocks. Maybe he should spend a little more time managing his team (and bullpen) rather than giving AL East foes some bulletin board material.

Crav,

This game sort of reminds me of an early season game about 5 yrs ago @ Fenway. It was the same deal - we were playing fairly well, had a ninth inning lead, and Armando Benitz gave up a 3 run tater (or maybe grand slam). The team, which I think was managed by Lee Mazilli ?, never recovered and began a season long free fall. So yes, lets hope its not a season changer.

Maybe Buck's preseason little snips at the Yanks and Bosox (in ESPN) are now biting him in the buttocks. Maybe he should spend a little more time managing his team (and bullpen) rather than giving AL East foes some bulletin board material.

lol, Armando hasnt been an Oriole in almost 15 years. Maybe Chris Ray? Just guessing, I do not remember that particular game.

I do not think any of the tough/bad losses the Orioles have had have anything to do with preseason comments Buck or anyone else made. The Red Sox have a good lineup and if you do not capitalize like the Orioles failed to last night, and if you give them extra outs like the Orioles did last night; chances are its going to hurt you.

Not a fan of Buck?

Now add a heart breaking 15 inning loss to the most hated rival..Theres the recipe for collapse.

Crav,

Maybe we just simply call it: Orioles Collapse = Gonzalez :thumbup:

In all fairness, if you cannot score a single run with runners on 1st and 3rd w/one out against the Yankees against a very mediocre relief corps (after Rivera), its not all on Gonzales. Gonzales wasnt the cause of the loss. He is simply a painful reminder of just how pathetic our bullpen is.

• 2 weeks later...

VA was describing what I call the "Mother's Day Massacre"... it was made worse a few times... though he did get a few details wrong.

I am not sure who the reliever was off the top of my head. It was not Benitez, to be sure. I think we probably saw multiple relievers, with the last one being Ray. The manager that year was Perlozzo. It was the season after Mazzilli was fired. Many say that game sealed the deal on Perlozzo's firing.

What was worse? It was one of Jeremy Guthrie's very early starts for the team. He had pitched 8 innings of shutout baseball beautifully. Perlozzo told him if he allowed a runner in the 9th, he'd get the hook. Well, he did allow a runner... on an error (I think by Mora). An error! And Perlozzo still yanked him. Sad.