ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Blueprint

vmax

Spread them out and get rid of the ball fast.

That's how to beat the Steelers this year.

A good defense is needed to go along with that to win the game.

The Redskins showed that last night. The Steeler secondary is not that good.

Can't cover 3-4 wides one on one. They break down...lose track of who covers who.

Crossing patterns confused them.

That makes the running game effective against a very stingy run defense.

Move the ball through the air and they can't load the box and run blitz.

and they're on their heels like last night.

Speed...the Steelers looked slow to me...except for some of their receivers.

With Evans, Bouldin, Smith, Doss, Pita/Dickson and Ray Rice there is enough speed for the Ravens there.

Now...it comes down to Joe.

Can he get rid of the ball fast?

I don't know.

It comes down to Joe being quick like you said and also down to Cam calling more spread formations with 4 receiver sets.

I think we noted last year that the teams that had most success against Pittsburgh did use multiple receiver formations but Cam never tried it even with Mason, Stallworth, Bouldin, and Housh on the same team.

It comes down to Joe being quick like you said and also down to Cam calling more spread formations with 4 receiver sets.

I think we noted last year that the teams that had most success against Pittsburgh did use multiple receiver formations but Cam never tried it even with Mason, Stallworth, Bouldin, and Housh on the same team.

vernon.jpg And that pisses me off!

Mason, Stallworth, Bouldin, and Housh are not fast, but they are savy vets. They can find the open spot.

The QB just has to read and react fast.

If Cam would have sent them with that intent...to locate the mismatch...it would have been there play after play.

If not, Ray Rice would be there to check down to.

Friggn Stallworth had had 3 catches for 46 yards last night. 15.3 avg.

He only had 2!....2!! catches last year for the Ravens!

You have to be creative and take risks to step out and win games.

Vick does it, Rodgers does it, Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers...but not the Ravens!!!!!!

vernon.jpg And that pisses me off!

Mason, Stallworth, Bouldin, and Housh are not fast, but they are savy vets. They can find the open spot.

The QB just has to read and react fast.

If Cam would have sent them with that intent...to locate the mismatch...it would have been there play after play.

If not, Ray Rice would be there to check down to.

Friggn Stallworth had had 3 catches for 46 yards last night. 15.3 avg.

He only had 2!....2!! catches last year for the Ravens!

Vick does it, Rodgers does it, Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers...but not the Ravens!!!!!!

Yup to all of that! Cam definitely did not utilize his talent last year and that surprised and disappointed me because I thought he was supposed to be an offensive genius with San Diego.

Let us hope that he works Lee Evans into this year's offense as opposed to what he didn't do last year!

Especially against the Steelers! We typically play uber tight against Pittsburgh, content to keep the score close so Pitt can come back on us in the forth.

Eisenberg backs up my first post of this thread as far as the running game goes...

Logic says the Ravens acquired Evans to help their passing game, and of course, that is true; Evans is stepping right into the starting lineup as the No. 2 receiver opposite Anquan Boldin.

But in the strange calculus of offensive football, it is the Ravens’ running game that might benefit the most.

There are a handful of reasons why the Ravens’ yards-per-carry average dropped from 4.7 to 3.8 last season -- subpar blocking being one – but the inability of the passing game to stretch out defenses was crucial.

Knowing the Ravens’ receivers didn’t have the speed to get behind them on deep routes, opponents stationed their defenses closer to the line, cramming the interior “box” where big bodies collide.

This was a major problem. The Ravens’ blockers were dealing with more defensive beef than usual … more than they could handle in many games. And Ray Rice didn’t have room to run.

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/08/15/11/Eisenberg-Why-the-trade-for-Evans/landing.html?blockID=549062&feedID=6705