ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Notes

vmax

Great News...well sort of...

For the first time in weeks, center Matt Birk and right guard Marshal Yanda participated in a full practice on Saturday.

It was a solid step in having both players available for the Ravens’ Week 1 showdown with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

When asked if he thought Birk would be ready for that critical rivalry game after undergoing knee surgery in early August, Offensive Line Coach Andy Moeller answered in the affirmative.

Matt was a situation where we just have to see where he is. It takes a certain amount of time,” said Harbaugh. “First we have to see if the surgery actually worked – if there’s going to be improvement. Which, that’s a question mark, so he may be battling this thing all year the same way he did last year. And then just seeing the way he can move the knee and then push it and then next day how he comes back and recovers and then what he can do the next day.

“Obviously we’re shooting for the opener and anything else we can get would be bonus.”

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/08/27/ravens-get-birk-yanda-back/

Good Show Michael!

Harbaugh was impressed with the way Oher handled the coaches’ decision to move him back to right tackle. Harbaugh and General Manager Ozzie Newsome talked to him about it Tuesday night.

“I’m going to tell you what, Michael is about as good a person and as great a team guy as I’ve ever been around in my career,” Harbaugh said.

“He said it before we said it, ‘Whatever I need to do to help this be the best football team and the best offensive line it can be [i'll do], all the career stuff can wait. We’re trying to be the best football team we can be.’ And that’s exactly what he said.”

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/08/27/oher-not-fazed-by-move-to-rt/

On the back up [#3] running back issue...

Allen has 10 combined rushes for 64 yards in three preseason games, an impressive average of 6.4 yards per carry. He had a 1-yard touchdown run and gallop for 14 yards versus Kansas City and broke off a 20-yarder against the Redskins.

The 6-foot-1, 230-pounder out of Georgia Tech has shown his strong, low running style and how difficult he is to bring down. Against the Chiefs, one defender was literally drug as he hung on to the back of the rookie’s jersey.

“I think my physical nature and the way I run the ball late in the game tends to help,” Allen said. “It just comes with the size.”

Allen’s main competition for a spot on the Ravens’ 53-man roster is fourth-year veteran Jalen Parmele. He was the Ravens’ third running back last year and also served some as their kickoff returner.

Parmele has run 15 times for 55 yards (3.7-yard average), including a 10-yard touchdown, this preseason. He has also been one of several Ravens in the mix at kickoff returner.

While Allen didn’t help himself with the dropped pass Thursday night, Parmele had a fourth-quarter fumble near the Ravens’ red zone.

One factor in the coaches’ decision could be how much Parmele offers in the return game. If Baltimore determines that wide receiver David Reed will be their primary returner, then that could affect Parmele’s value.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/08/27/allen-making-strong-bid-for-spot/

Ravens_Eagles_Football_87509_team.jpg

With L'Quan William's burst of speed in the return game, we don't need Parmalee.

And don't forget that David Reed was killing it on kick returns last season before his injury. The more and more I watch, the more and more I see Parmele being cut unless we carry 4 RBs and I don't see us doing that with the need to carry 6 WRs.