ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Bateman set to break out?

Makes sense, we tend to forget that he was still recovering last year from his foot injury the previous year. Another depends on his steadfastness, more on Lamar looking his way..

When it comes to predicting the Baltimore Ravens' breakout player of 2024, the consensus this offseason has been wideout Rashod Bateman, a 2021 first-round pick whose career has been derailed by injuries and inconsistency.

Bateman has watched his wide receiver draft classmates -- Amon-Ra St. Brown, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith and Nico Collins -- sign contracts that average over $24 million per season, placing them among the top 10 highest-paid receivers.

What Bateman has received from Baltimore is surprising stability and unrelenting support. He has been given more praise than arguably anyone else on the team. He's had a standout spring, making memorable catches nearly every practice.

"I think he looks incredible," Ravens tight end Mark Andrews said. "Everything -- his route running, catching the ball, being where he's supposed to be -- he has it down to a science. I know he's worked really hard, but he looks about as put together as he's ever been.

"So, it's going to be a big year for Rashod Bateman. I'm calling it now."

Andrews isn't alone in this assessment. At the NFL combine in February, Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Bateman is going to take "a big step" this season. During the draft in April, Baltimore general manager Eric DeCosta said Bateman's "best football is ahead of him."

This confidence comes from Bateman's first healthy offseason and new-found peace of mind. He was not eligible for a fifth-year option after not attending the start of last year's training camp, which kept him from accruing a full season.

But all of the uncertainty ended when the Ravens approached Bateman with a contract offer before the draft. He signed a two-year, $12.871 million extension that includes a $3.445 million signing bonus and keeps him under contract through the 2026 season.

"That extension definitely came out of nowhere," Bateman said. "But it shows that they believe in, believe in my work, my ethic, [and] the team believes in me, so it was a no-brainer. I love playing here. I love this organization. I love the fans. I feel like I still have a lot to do."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40284705/ravens-rashod-bateman-break-2024-season

I think Bateman will come of age this year as long as he gets enough targets. Can't forget guys like Flowers, Andrews, and Likely who have already bloomed.

Likely and Flowers were very good last year. Andrews was hurt, now recovered. There will be plenty of options available for a limited number of opportunities this season. It's the O-line that I worry about.

They have so many options, let us not forget the rookie speedster who also has size.

Todd finally has the personnel like he had a Georgia. 2 1,000 yard receivers is too much to exoect.

But Bateman abke to focus on the ball rather than his injury should help him get solid production of what, 600-800 yards, maybe +5 in touchdowns

Same for Flowers, the rookie, what, 500 & 3-5 tds

Sky is the limit for a healthy Andrews who will be able to work with 3, very quick & fast wide outs for the 1st time. Likely, depends on how much playing time he gets.

Yes, on paper, this offense can be very dangerous if healthy.

16 minutes ago, oldno82 said:

Likely and Flowers were very good last year. Andrews was hurt, now recovered. There will be plenty of options available for a limited number of opportunities this season. It's the O-line that I worry about.

Likely only performed when Andrews went down and Likely slid into those route combos.  As soon as they had Andrews come back and play his spot Lamar forgot Likely existed except for throwing into triple coverage.  The issue is the passer and not the targets.

4 hours ago, papasmurfbell said:

Likely only performed when Andrews went down and Likely slid into those route combos.  As soon as they had Andrews come back and play his spot Lamar forgot Likely existed except for throwing into triple coverage.  The issue is the passer and not the targets.

Lamar threw into triple coverage on one play. Yes it was stupid but this year with an extra experience under Monken's system there will be plenty of target possibilities. So much so that the WRs will be competing for opportunities like never before on a Ravens team.

You want to worry on something think about an O-line starting 3 new guys and how long will it take for them to develop the offensive line chemistry that is so necessary for having an effective offense. That is where the Achilles heel may be.

Believe me I am worried about the OL.  Another reason why I expect little from Henry.  But back to my point.  There were plenty of targets last yr in the offense and Lamar ignored most of them.  Can he get to target 3+ in the progression?  I have never seen him do it regularly.  By age 27 you are pretty much set as you are.  Your skills dont expand more.  I actually see his skills eroding on the ground.  When that threat is gone what pass rushes do to him is going to be horrific.