ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

A draft prediction

papasmurfbell

No you don't - those guys are late 1st/2nd round guys all the time. Hakeem nicks, 29th. Britt 30th. Even boldin was a 2nd. Brandon Marshall, Colston, mike wallace, steve smith, T.O., Ochocinco, desean Jackson, etc. Even dez Bryant fell to what, 24? And he was hyped!

Just saying. Receivers fall A LOT more than other positions.

there are tons of examples of this.

The root of this issue is that you stated that Torrey Smith isn't the #1 type of receiver, that he is a burner. In this post and since, you guys have mentioned at least three or four "types" of receivers, i.e. possession guys, burners, hybrid WRs, slot-type WRs, bigger guys, smaller guys, etc. And in this post alone, you have all those types of receivers mentioned as "#1 types". Therefore, I don't understand your conclusion as it pertains to Smith's inability to become a #1 receiver, because you've provided no other type of evidence.

Even though I think he has every chance to be a superstar-type, I would have nothing against an opinion stating that Smith can never rise above the #2 WR, burner kind of player. This argument simply provides nothing to that end.

This is the main issue at hand and outlines the entire circumstance of whether we even need to draft a WR, because we do have the depth.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The root of this issue is that you stated that Torrey Smith isn't the #1 type of receiver, that he is a burner. In this post and since, you guys have mentioned at least three or four "types" of receivers, i.e. possession guys, burners, hybrid WRs, slot-type WRs, bigger guys, smaller guys, etc. And in this post alone, you have all those types of receivers mentioned as "#1 types". Therefore, I don't understand your conclusion as it pertains to Smith's inability to become a #1 receiver, because you've provided no other type of evidence.

Even though I think he has every chance to be a superstar-type, I would have nothing against an opinion stating that Smith can never rise above the #2 WR, burner kind of player. This argument simply provides nothing to that end.

This is the main issue at hand and outlines the entire circumstance of whether we even need to draft a WR, because we do have the depth.

Who did I say were #1 receivers besides Kenny Britt, Hakeem Nicks, and big, strong guys like that? DeSean Jackson?

I went through the past decade of drafts and listed all of the guys who have had success at any receiver spot, just for the sake of easy reference. Was not suggesting that ALL LISTED were #1 types.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php

Baltimore Ravens: Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

Ozzie Newsome indicated that he'll be looking for Ray Lewis' successor this upcoming April. Well, Dont'a Hightower makes sense for a number of reasons. He's one of the best players available and fits the attitude of Baltimore's defense. He can play next to Lewis right away, and Ozzie Newsome has had success with Alabama players over the years.

This selection also works for the Steelers, who could obtain this pick if the Ravens decide to acquire Mike Wallace for a first-round tender. If I'm Baltimore, I'd do this in a heartbeat. Wallace is still young, and he's better than anyone available at this juncture. Hurting your biggest rival is an added bonus.

Baltimore Ravens: Jonathan Massaquoi, DE/OLB, Troy

As good as the Ravens' defense is, they only have one player who can consistently get to the quarterback. Jonathan Massaquoi would be a nice insurance policy just in case Sergio Kindle can't get healthy.

Baltimore Ravens: Chris Polk, RB, Washington

Ricky Williams has retired, so he can now do everything he wasn't able to do during his playing career, like smoke weed and go on tours with crappy musicians. Oh wait...

Just not seeing these. No OL help so far. A RB in the 3rd. It makes no sense.

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1_17-32.asp

29 Baltimore

Vontaze Burfict

Arizona State

SILB

Reach/Value: -12 Height:

6'3"

Weight:

245 Alternate Pick #1

Markelle Martin

Alternate Pick #2

Zebrie Sanders Another week and another Vontaze Burfict selection. There isn't a whole lot that hasn't been said before. Burfict is a perfect fit for the Ravens in terms of scheme, need, and value. Ray Lewis is nearing the end and all three other ILBs on the roster are set to hit free agency this year. I expect at least one to be back, Dannell Ellerbe as he's restricted, but McClain is the starter and he could be moving on. Burfict would be able to step in and contribute as a rookie while learning from the great Ray Lewis, a player to whom he compares very favorably. Some other options would be if one of the big four OTs falls, Dont'a Hightower or Zach Brown as ILB alternatives, Peter Konz as Matt Birk is contemplating retirement and is a free agent, and trading out is always a real possibility for Ozzie. -Eugene Stasak

61 Baltimore

Ben Jones

Georgia

OC

Reach/Value: +1 Height:

6'3"

Weight:

315 Alternate Pick #1

Philip Blake

Alternate Pick #2

Andrew Datko Both centers on the Ravens roster, Matt Birk and Andre Gurode, are well on the wrong side of 30 and are set to hit free agency. In addition, starting left guard Ben Grubbs is also due for free agency, and after shelling out top money for right guard Marshall Yanda last year, many believe they'll let Grubbs walk. Enter Ben Jones. Jones is widely considered the second best center prospect, and he's got enough size and versatility to play guard as well. At worst, Jones comes in and becomes the top backup and heir apparent at center, replacing Gurode who undoubtedly will be allowed to walk. If Birk and/or Grubbs don't return, Jones immediately becomes the starter at center or competes for the starting left guard spot. -Eugene Stasak

92 Baltimore

George Iloka

Boise State

FS

Reach/Value: +6 Height:

6'3"

Weight:

215 Alternate Pick #1

Trenton Robinson

Alternate Pick #2

Jake Bequette

I sort of like this draft. Burfict is to high from them. Maybe a trade down and get him makes sense.

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2012

29 Baltimore Peter Konz* OC Wisconsin 6' 5" 315

61 Baltimore George Iloka S Boise State 6' 3" 207

92 Baltimore Brandon Weeden QB Oklahoma State 6' 4" 219

156 Baltimore Tauren Poole RB Tennessee 5' 11" 213

187 Baltimore Kyle Wilber OLB Wake Forest 6' 5" 235

219 Baltimore Jarius Wright WR Arkansas 5' 10" 180

Kinda like this one too. I wouldn't go OC #1 but the OL is delt with. I think Iloka is to high but I do like what I see. Don't get the QB at all.

• 1 month later...

http://www.mockone.net/MockTwo/MockTwo.php/mocksite/teamPage/5

1.29 29 Peter Konz, C

from Wisconsin

2.29 61 Amini Silatolu, OG

from Midwestern St

3.29 92 Trevor Guyton, DE

from California

5.29 156 Cyrus Gray, RB

from Texas A&M

6.29 187 Travis Benjamin, WR

from Miami (FL)

7.29 219 Ramon Buchanan, OLB

from Miami (FL)

Pretty good picks. Not grasping the RB or WR picks. They do need some MLB help somewhere.

I am skeptical of any draft that doesn't include all 8 draft picks (even if it was conducted prior to the compensatory pick announcement).

I also don't see them drafting 2 interior OL. But if they do, one of them has to have played G/T like Yanda.

True, they need MLB help somewhere and they also need a backup at NT.

Here's how I see our pick going down:

- LB Hightower is the guy we are hoping slips and would take him in a heart beat.

- WR Hill would be the sexy pick and is very tempting due to his speed paired with T. Smith and we do not have a receiver with his size and ability to go up for balls downfield.

- OT Cody is a smart pick due to his immediate ability to come in and play guard, as well as long-term potential at tackle.

- C Konz represents a mix of Hill and Cody. Smart pick due to the position he plays, his football IQ, his on field success, and ability to be a long-term fixture at a critical position. He is risky due to his strength and durability.

Based on what I know of Ozzie and our draft strategy and history, I have it down to these four guys (provided we do not trade out of the pick or someone ridiculous slips). What do you guys think?

I can't think of PSU DL's being bad in general. I can think of the one Cle drafted. After that nothing.

I just remember something like that when two years ago, Jared Odrick was being discussed as a Ravens pick.

Just for fun, I did look up players drafted from Penn State over the years.

The Ravens have drafted 2, both in 1997. Kim Herring and Wally Richardson. I can't say I even remember Wally Richardson.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=8855

Round One (29th overall pick): C Peter Konz, Wisconsin

The unquestioned top center prospect in this year's draft, Konz is an intelligent, experienced player, who should be able to contribute from day one, whether it is at center or guard.

Round Two (60): OT Zebrie Sanders, Florida State

Sanders is just an average run blocker at this point, but is a fluid athlete with good size (6-foot-6, 320 pounds) and great feet, who excels in pass protection.

Round Three (91): WR/KR T.Y. Hilton, FIU

Hilton doesn't have good size (5-foot-10, 183 pounds), but he's an explosive player with tremendous speed and quickness, who should be able to make an impact as a kick returner and out of the slot.

Round Four (130): WR Tommy Streeter, Miami

Streeter is raw, especially as a route runner, but he's a high-upside deep threat, with a rare combination of size (6-foot-5, 219 pounds) and speed (4.40 40-yard dash).

Round Five (164): OG Joe Looney, Wake Forest

Looney is a tough, physical run blocker, who has earned high marks for both his character and his leadership ability.

Round Five (169): S Janzen Jackson, McNeese State

A Tennessee transfer, Jackson is a talented player and has the potential to be a playmaker in the NFL, but he comes with more than his fair share of off-the-field baggage.

Round Six (198): OLB Brandon Lindsey, Pittsburgh

Lindsey struggles against the run, and he may never be more than a situational pass rusher in the NFL, but he is a proven edge rusher, who was productive during his final two collegiate seasons.

Round Seven (236): RB Davin Meggett, Maryland

Meggett is a quick, instinctive runner, who is solid across the board and should be a solid backup in the NFL.

I like the 2nd and 5th round pick.

2012 mock draft, take three

29. Ravens: Amini Silatolu, guard, Midwestern State.

Silatolu is a mauling run blocker in the Mike Iupati mold.

Not a snowballs chance.

Agreed he is a small school prospect that is likely a project at OG. Not a good pass protector either. Probably wouldn't beat out Jah Reid for LG. Kevin Zeitler from Wisconsin is a more NFL ready OG.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/27/2012-second-round-mock-draft/

35. Ravens: Courtney Upshaw, linebacker, Alabama.

Upshaw lacks elite burst, but he is a relentless football player

Amazing pickup for a must cheaper price and getting another pick.

This is a guy I didn't see the Ravens having a shot at.

60. Ravens: Jerel Worthy, defensive tackle, Michigan State.

Worthy takes plays off, but he can dominate when focused.

Why. OL isn't sexy but is needed.