ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Clark downplays "hit" on Willis

cravnravn

The collision that sent Ryan Clark to the sideline and Baltimore running back Willis McGahee to the hospital Sunday did not produce any lingering effects for the Steelers' safety.

"I had a little headache," said Clark, who practiced yesterday, "but I have a headache after every game. Nothing really too much different than any other week."

What hurt Clark more about the collision -- or at least irked him about it -- was the reaction it provoked.

There were calls for Clark to be fined or even suspended, and he said replays show that it was a legal hit. Clark added that he won't get fined from the NFL for the hit, which bolsters his argument.

"The hit shouldn't even had to have been reviewed," Clark said. "He has the ball, I turned to the side, he sees me, tries to go down a little bit and we have a hard collision. So many people gave their opinions on it that don't even know the rules."

Clark hit McGahee so hard there was concern that he had sustained a concussion. Doctors gave his wife, Yonka, three words for Clark to remember so she could gauge what effect the hit had on him.

"She asked me those three words all night and then asked me the next morning, 'You do know I didn't remember those words?' " Clark said with a laugh. "So if I was wrong, she would have never known."

more

Of course hes going to downplay it, his super bowl check is going to be 27.50 after taxes with the fines he should incur.

Personally, I wish the flags would come more often so that the fines didn't have to come. But one way or another, the league needs to establish the helmet-to-helmet hits are not acceptable.

Intentional or not, Clark aimed to make the tackle by putting his head down and forward... he was slightly sideways, but it was still his helmet leading the tackle, before the shoulder.

On "First and 10" the other day, Bayless and Kordell Stewart were on there debating this. For once I agreed with Bayless. Stewart asked "how else is he supposed to make that tackle?" because that seems to be a common defense for Clark's hit.

Both Bayless and the host looked at Stewart and said, "Uh, the way tackles have been made for the last 50 years..." go low, around his waist or legs, hit him with your arms in front of you... I don't care.

Bottom line is that such hits shouldn't be allowed. If the flag isn't thrown, the league needs to get the point across.

Personally, I wish the flags would come more often so that the fines didn't have to come. But one way or another, the league needs to establish the helmet-to-helmet hits are not acceptable.

Intentional or not, Clark aimed to make the tackle by putting his head down and forward... he was slightly sideways, but it was still his helmet leading the tackle, before the shoulder.

On "First and 10" the other day, Bayless and Kordell Stewart were on there debating this. For once I agreed with Bayless. Stewart asked "how else is he supposed to make that tackle?" because that seems to be a common defense for Clark's hit.

Both Bayless and the host looked at Stewart and said, "Uh, the way tackles have been made for the last 50 years..." go low, around his waist or legs, hit him with your arms in front of you... I don't care.

Bottom line is that such hits shouldn't be allowed. If the flag isn't thrown, the league needs to get the point across.

Totally agree..... Helmet to helmet, regardless of intention, is still helmet to helmet. His hat hit Willi's hat, flag should have been thrown. Yea, it sucks for Pitt cuz he didn't mean to do it, but he still hit someone with his helmet.

Do you think everyone means to grab people's facemask? But it happens, throw the flag.