ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Maryland Can't Get Slots Right, Still

dc.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/pol...0,7049352.story

First... this pay-to-play shit is ridiculous... as I understand it, companies are supposed to pay fees on applications in the MILLIONS of dollars? How about we apply... if you say yes, we'll give you the 22.5 mil.

But thanks to years in delays and a horrid, horrid plan for slots... we got 6 bids (2 incomplete) for 5 locations and 1 bid that was less than 1/5 of what it was expected to be.

Sweeeeeeet.

So, looks like we still won't have slots. We still won't have income. And now officials have the nerve to blame the slot companies for not providing them with "the expected revenues." Well, shucks.

And, our dear Gov O'Malley will have a few 100m more in budget shortfalls, I guess. Yikes.

That's not good news. But maybe if he had been pro-slot 4 years ago, you know, when we were being warned about budget shortfalls and he wasn't the governor, maybe we could have avoided all this. Instead, now you look two faced for flipping sides on an issue AND (this is my favorite part) you're still going to be screwed over because we'll still have no slots, you'll still have no revenue and the state will FLOP under your leadership!!!

Oh, too much fun.

First... this pay-to-play shit is ridiculous... as I understand it, companies are supposed to pay fees on applications in the MILLIONS of dollars? How about we apply...

I could be wrong DC, but as I understand it it cost 6 million dollars for the right to get X amount of machines..Then you must build a building to meet the States Standards, or have a bldg in place (Laurel Park) that meets their standards.

No no no... they say pretty directly in the article and over and over in everything I've read... that the state wants money for the application.

The state was expecting 90-100m in application fees yesterday... and got just 30-40 because (a) of the lack of applications and (B) because two applications were not paying the fee.

I mean, maybe this isn't uncommon when it comes to building gambling sites... but when the state is taking 70% of revenue too, they want a bonus 20-30m up front from every investor, just to APPLY to build.

The interviews in the article were saying over and over... "I don't know how we can consider them serious investors if they can't even file the application appropriately."

Though one applicant did say that they didn't include the fee because their application was dependent on the state changing some things (such as that 70% rev cut)