ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Thoughts Before Season Opener

vmax

Just a few random thoughts on the 2009 Ravens before the season opener.

1. I saw TE LJ Smith makes 2 great catch and runs during the preseason and thought what a great weapon he could be for the offense. Truth is, I don't see him contributing at all this season because physically he keeps breaking down. At this point it's a wasted roster spot.

2. Reading between the lines it seems McAlister has some personal issues that got him kicked off the team and waiting for sombody to call him with work. I don't know what they are. Guessing, I'd say his head is not in the game but in partying. All that money brought him down... but that's just a guess. He was one of my favorite Ravens and they don't get to, and win, the Super Bowl in 2000 without him. There's a correlation between hunger and success.

3. Harbaugh has done a great job getting this team prepared and ready physically. You could see they were one step ahead of every opponent this pre season. Now...let's hope they can stay healthy. Last season ended with 19 players on injured reserve and when you factor in playing 17 straight games, you can see how they ran out of gas by the AFC Champoinship game.

4. Last February I thought the Ravens schedule was easy. Not now. Every year teams rise and fall. There is always turnover in the playoff teams from one season to another. I see a playoff caliber 2009 Ravens team. I also see the competition and pitfalls this years Ravens have to hurdle in order to get back to the playoffs.

5. Speaking of playoffs. There is a winning formula teams must follow to get there. Win at home...win on the road (at least go .500), defeat teams with winning records and defeat playoff caliber teams. In short...find ways to win. All the contenders do that. The 2008 Ravens accomplished that and now, they have to do it all over again. They can certanly build on last seasons success and experience and I believe 3 playoff games worth of experience will be a serious contributing factor in the '09 Ravens favor.

6. It's not enough to be able to run the ball and play solid defense. Not in the AFC and with the rule changes that favor the passing game. To do damage in the playoffs, you have to have a good passing game....and a solid QB and receivers. Teams like the Titans and Steelers can take away the run...others will emerge this year. Joe Cool and Co have their work cut out for them and I believe they will succeed. I see them getting better each week this year.

7. Every team has some holes and weakness. I could see them in the '09 Steelers and Titans. We see then in the Ravens. That's the CAP and Parity. This 2009 Ravens team is as soild as you can get in this era.

8. Watch the O line. Gaither and Oher have their work cut out for them. If they take that next step in development this offense will be solid for years to come. This remains a young unit who are still developing. The game is won and lost in the trenches. Depth concerns me.

9. Continue loving defense Ravens fans...it will keep them in every game against every opponent...so they can "find that way to win."

Finnally...click on this link to get ready for Sunday...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwXtZ4zn6bo

48950365.jpg

4. Last February I thought the Ravens schedule was easy. Not now.

Why, our schedule is a piece of cake..I love playing San Diego next week, they are notorious slow starters, theColts window is shut, Sanders is out, Manning has been sacked more times than the Ravens blocking sled, Their best O-lineman Ugoh was beat out by a rookie. Addai has lost a step, No harrison, new coach spells victory for us.

New England, Brady will not be the same Brady after that knee surgery, now he's knocked some bimbo up, Im not worried about them.

Our toughest game will be against the Steelers, no doubt.

15-1, 14-2 barring any major injuries.

Edited by cravnravn

4. Last February I thought the Ravens schedule was easy. Not now.

Why, our schedule is a piece of cake..I love playing San Diego next week, they are notorious slow starters, theColts window is shut, Sanders is out, Manning has been sacked more times than the Ravens blocking sled, Their best O-lineman Ugoh was beat out by a rookie. Addai has lost a step, No harrison, new coach spells victory for us.

New England, Brady will not be the same Brady after that knee surgery, now he's knocked some bimbo up, Im not worried about them.

Our toughest game will be against the Steelers, no doubt.

15-1, 14-2 barring any major injuries.

The two biggest things about the Indy game is that CMAC is gone and there is Marvin on their side!

Keep in mind when your going to the game or getting ready to watch it at home, Browns 20 Ravesn 3!

Schedule talk is a slippery slope. Many teams will turn out to be duds, while others could be studs. Looking at the schedule before last season, our last two months were seen as a death march! The NFC East, a game against the Steelers, and the Jags were all seen as potential loses. As it turned out, we matched up very well against NFC East minus the Giants, and the Jags were a dud. Do not forget, the Browns were coming off of a 10-6 season, a sweep was not seen by many there.

This year there are sure to be a swap of studs and duds, we just have to take it one week at a time.

Guest BallTMore

Good stuff. Love the video.

Go to Baltimoreravens.com and watch their new video. If they play that at the stadium tomorrow, I WILL run on the field and tackle a KC Chief! Amazing video!