ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

That Was NOT Ravens Football

vmax

The defense couldn't stop the run.

They couldn't stop the pass.

They couldn't pressure Palmer...that is bad folks...the Bengal O line is not that good...at all...but the Raven D made them look great...dominant.

They couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.

The offense couldn't get the ball on a day when the Ravens were slaughtered in the Time of Possesion battle.

When the offense had the ball but couldn't sustain a drive to give the D a rest...much less score points.

They couldn't run.

They couldn't pass against the 26th ranked pass D.

The O line was lethargic.

The Bengals tried to give this game away while they were marching up and down the field.

It was 2 plays only that kept the Ravens in the game. Ed Reed's INT for a score and Ray Rice's 2 yard catch and incredible run for the touchdown.

One team played showed up today knowing what was at stake.

It was not the Ravens.

Edited by vmax

Are the offensive lines that good or is our defense just unable to generate a pass rush? With out a defensive pass rush the Ravens are in for a looonnnnggggg season. Is this the first season of the demise of the defense? At the end of the season will the talk be to tear down and rebuild a new defense here?

I think part of this defense's demise is the offense's change in strategy and ability... when we roll on offense, we roll. We score quickly and decisively. I don't remember too many late, 8 minute drives to eat clock and rest our D.

So I think it's a mix of both offense and defense. Our offense doesn't seem to know how to sustain a drive when we need it.

Meanwhile, I want to see Kruger on the line. He's supposed to have serious pass-rushing ability and we obviously need the help... why not try it at this point?

I think part of this defense's demise is the offense's change in strategy and ability... when we roll on offense, we roll. We score quickly and decisively. I don't remember too many late, 8 minute drives to eat clock and rest our D.

So I think it's a mix of both offense and defense. Our offense doesn't seem to know how to sustain a drive when we need it.

Meanwhile, I want to see Kruger on the line. He's supposed to have serious pass-rushing ability and we obviously need the help... why not try it at this point?

Not to pick on Trevor Price but what the heck and was Bart Scott that big of a loss.

Our pass rush was not great last year either. Better, maybe, but not great.

And maybe Scott was a bigger loss... I still think he is easily replaceable... I think Gooden, Ellerbe, etc are proving they aren't the guys to replace him though.

Are the offensive lines that good or is our defense just unable to generate a pass rush? With out a defensive pass rush the Ravens are in for a looonnnnggggg season. Is this the first season of the demise of the defense? At the end of the season will the talk be to tear down and rebuild a new defense here?

The Bengal offensive line is not that good...so the Ravens pass rush if officially bad now that we've had 5 games to whitness...nothing.

Until the Ravens get 1 very solid corner, then yes...this is the demise of the Ravens D. Might need a DC to right this ship.

Our pass rush was not great last year either. Better, maybe, but not great.

And maybe Scott was a bigger loss... I still think he is easily replaceable... I think Gooden, Ellerbe, etc are proving they aren't the guys to replace him though.

I was at the game dc where I can see everything.

Gooden was a wasted body on the field...like playing with 10 guys.

I think it is unfair to write off Gooden and Ellerbe after one bad game. Ellerbe was very solid last week, and barely saw the field this week. Gooden on the other hand was getting pushed back into the secondary on a lot of those runs.

Ellerbe it might be early.

Gooden has had issues in earlier games... never been a good pass rusher.

I just mean, we're not seeing much from any of them... not in the way we need to at least. That's across the board, though.

Guest BallTMore

I'd like to see more of Ellerbie myself. I know he missed some assignments last week, but at least he was noticable on the field in a good way at other times. He looks like he has some explosiveness.

Gooden is a ghost. Never hear his name called.

Guest BallTMore

Oh, and I agree that Cam and the offense were completely out-played and coached.

We looked lethargic and unprepared. There didn't seem to be any adjustments made by Cameron.

True story...4th quarter at the game...

Me: "Is Billick calling the plays?"

Fan in front of me: "You didn't hear? They made him an Offensive Consultant this week."

My brother: "Watch, they'll throw a 2 yard pass to Ray Rice."

Holy Shit!...Flacco throws a 2 yard pass to Ray Rice!...who incredibly keeps his feet and makes the long gain TD run.

Oh, and I agree that Cam and the offense were completely out-played and coached.

We looked lethargic and unprepared. There didn't seem to be any adjustments made by Cameron.

Agreed and that was the primary reason for this loss.

Outcoached overall again and again vs Lewis.

Our defense scored seven and allowed 17, not great and not bad.

Guest BallTMore
It just stinks to loose to the loser Bengils. If we can loose to a team like them then what lies ahead?

I don't think you can call the Bengals losers this season. They took it to Pittsburgh and us. The games aren't pretty, but they find ways to win.

We're 3-2. We're still in good shape, and I still believe this is a playoff team. However, a loss next week and I'll start worrying.

It just stinks to loose to the loser Bengils. If we can loose to a team like them then what lies ahead?

Take a peek...

sc09.jpg

They'll beat the Lions...Browns...Raiders...

9-7 season at this level of performance.

Yo man, the Bengals may not be an elite team, be we're not what we used to be.

Why does everyone seem to think Billick resents us letting him go and wants us to fail? I think Billick has a lot of respect and love for this team and its fans. I don't think he wants us to fail at all.

Why does everyone seem to think Billick resents us letting him go and wants us to fail? I think Billick has a lot of respect and love for this team and its fans. I don't think he wants us to fail at all.

Billick respects and loves money for nothing.

I don't think you can call the Bengals losers this season. They took it to Pittsburgh and us. The games aren't pretty, but they find ways to win.

We're 3-2. We're still in good shape, and I still believe this is a playoff team. However, a loss next week and I'll start worrying.

I'm already worrying. We play the Vikings in Minnesota next week. With the way Benson's stats look (I was working and saw only the last few minutes of the game), Peterson is going to run all over us.

After that game and the bye, we have Denver, who is also putting up a hell of a fight against NE right now, and is 4-0. Then we go to Cincy, and since they just beat us here, we'll probably be underdogs for that game. After a brief respite against the Browns, we host the Colts and the Steelers. Looking at that schedule, while I don't think that it will happen (at least I hope not) there is at least a semi-decent chance we could end up sitting at 4-7 if we don't start getting better right quick. I'm seeing flashbacks of 2004/2007 right now.

Today, despite how poorly we played, we had multiple chances to win, and couldnt come through. 3rd and 16 and we take a penalty. 4th and 1, and let Carson scramble for the first down. A bonehead play by Lewis to give the Bengals 15 free yards with the clock stopped (and he didnt hit with the helmet, but they probably would have thrown the flag anyway for hit on a defenseless receiver).

But to be honest, there is one play that haunts me more than any of those about this game, the first play that I saw when I sat down at the bar and had the bartender turn the TV to the game. Without that overthrow on 3rd and 10, none of that matters. Flacco has got to make that pass. As much as we rag on Clayton (and a lot of it is deserved), he was wide open on that play. That connection has to be made. I think, on that play, Joe lost his cool a bit, adrenaline got to him, and he put too much juice on it.

That is going to be the what-if that nags at me from this game.

just to continue to clarify... this "defenseless receiver" thing is bs. the best i can find on it is from a Sun rules explanation last... and it pretty much says that if a receiver is defenseless (in the air, no ball) you cant him him high (head or neck) you have to hit him chest or below. nothing says you cant hit him.

as for the clayton pass.. if you are talking about the 40 yard bomb... thats not an easy pass to make. still waiting for clayton to lay out, at least.