ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

We are not crazy

OutsideRzAcE

We are not crazy for saying the Refs screwed us again. I'm seeing a lot of "we deserved to lose" and "the refs had nothing to do with it". Bullcrap. Both teams played like crap and i said weeks ago that we have been playing average defense. The point is - even with another crappy showing by our D we didn't deserve to lose anymore than Cinci did. They played a great game but they also dropped touchdown passes and couldn't secure the ball.

When we were down 10-7 I thought the Ravens were done...and if the game had ended after Benson's run you wouldn't hear me complaining about the refs. Instead I would be complaining about our average corners, lack of pass rush and asking where the hell our run D went. But the Ravens fought back and even if it was a lucky run by Ray Rice at least it WASN'T REF ASSISTED.

This is two weeks in a row the referees gave the other team a series of mulligans. If you're going to call pass coverage tight downfield then fine, but call Johnsons OPI as well! Don't tell me Foxworth wouldn't have picked that off if Johnson doesn't jump on him. Ray's PF..bullcrap. It was bang bang. If Johnson catches that ball then Ray's hit knocks it out and it's a great play. What's Ray supposed to do? Wait to make sure Johnson catches and secures the ball then lay him out?

It's like the '72 Olympic USA basketball farce where the refs kept giving the russians extra chances to make a final shot. Eventually the other team is going to score if you keep giving them extra shots.

So yes we played like crap, but in the end we still should have escaped with a win.

10 penalties for 70 odd yards...total lack of discipline and focus.

Ray had plenty of time to let up and miss. He either had a brain fart or 85 was in his head.

Now...I didn't have the luxury of TV to see if any were bogus. but the last one...on Foxworth????...that was right in front of me and it was pure bs.

That was a great defensive play.

Last one was called on Reed but they meant to say Walker... and you're right, total BS. As was the non-call on Johnson for the Offensive PI against Foxworth.

I still don't like Ray's call. Watch the video. In slow mo there's about 1-2 seconds between the pass and the hit... in full speed that's 1 step, half a second... that's not "plenty of time" to lay off. As OTR says, what's he supposed to do, wait for CJ to catch it before he starts to tackle him?

Max, I agree the Ravens looked bad. I'm hoping they took the Bengals for granted because the alternative reality is that any team that has a half decent QB (not Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, or Brodie Croyle) going to get 350+ yards on our defense. The Bengals have an improved D and Palmer seems to be getting healthy again. They were a tipped pass from being undefeated coming into this week so they are definitely the real deal.

We have real problems. Our conerbacks have plenty of speed and can run with anyone, but they continue to be unable to cover one on one. Our pass rush is not getting to the quarterbacks and it seems our blitzes are fooling noone. We thought our rush D was the one area on D we could feel good about but the Bengals came in and jammed Cedric Benson down our throats.

But for all our problems today we were still in a position to win until the Refs started getting flag happy. I checked out the Sun website for instant reaction and Peter Schmuck had already absolved the refs and put all the blame on the Ravens for the loss. Then I came over here and I saw pretty much the same reaction. I'm saying i disagree - we did play poorly, but whether it was luck or not we still made enough plays to win (Rice's run, Reed's interception and forcedfumble). Can you remember the last time the Ravens were helped to a win by referee calls? I don't...for some reason we have to earn all of our victories. Imagine that concept!

Looking ahead... I'm actually not too worried about Peterson next week... at least not based on today's performance. We have trouble with huge backs and Benson is big. Peterson will bring a very different and scary challenge against us, and there is plenty of reason to be worried. But I'm not connecting net week to today ... yet.

The Refs stunk, again.

Mark Clayton catches the ball, runs down the field gets taken down right at that pink ribbon on the feild. Bengals pick the ball up on what they things is a turn over. The play ios called, runner down there at the ribbon. Why is the ball set five yards back? Why after the call is made and refs amrk te ball 5 yards wrong is Marvin Lewis on the feild? Why no flag on that?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d813520db/NFL-Scoreboard-Bengals-Ravens-highlights

NFL.com thinks it was a silly call.

Also - different topic - but Chris Carr got absolutely run over by Caldwell on the game winning TD. If it Carr initiated the contact and there was no catch, it probably would have been defensive holding/illegal contact. But no call on Caldwell.

But really, my point in looking at this again is that our small DBs killed us. Small DB, big WR... Caldwell is just able to drop Carr like its nothing and he's wide open. A bigger DB doesn't get run over like that. Just like a bigger DB doesnt miss his chuck on Moss in NE. If we're going to play with smaller DBs, we need to adjust our coverages some how... in that situation - you do anything to keep the ball and receiver in front of you. AVOID the contact.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d813520db/NFL-Scoreboard-Bengals-Ravens-highlights

NFL.com thinks it was a silly call.

Also - different topic - but Chris Carr got absolutely run over by Caldwell on the game winning TD. If it Carr initiated the contact and there was no catch, it probably would have been defensive holding/illegal contact. But no call on Caldwell.

But really, my point in looking at this again is that our small DBs killed us. Small DB, big WR... Caldwell is just able to drop Carr like its nothing and he's wide open. A bigger DB doesn't get run over like that. Just like a bigger DB doesnt miss his chuck on Moss in NE. If we're going to play with smaller DBs, we need to adjust our coverages some how... in that situation - you do anything to keep the ball and receiver in front of you. AVOID the contact.

Remember Dwayne Starks...skinny, scrawney Dwayne Starks? Marvin held him back...no chucking...just read and react.

Dwayne was able to jump the short routes from that position or run deep.

As to when an official's call last helped us win, I can think of the playoff game against the Titans and the non-delay of game call on the last drive for the FG, but other than that and getting an extra TO against Seattle back in '03 (the Wright huge comeback), I can't remember another.