ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens miss Bart and Leonard

vmax

I know the Ravens couldn't keep them and I'm fine with that but they also haven't been able to replace Bart and Leonard.

Landry is not getting the job done and neither are any of the LB's they are using to replace Bart.

And I know we had to let Rex go but Mattison is a drop off as the DC...plain and simple.

He has less to work with, but he's still got a ton of talant on that D and they are playing....soft.

Landry seems in and out of every game... nice sack, some other nice plays today... and then at other times, totally lost.

Bottom line... only one member of our secondary seems to understand Mattison's schemes. Fox, Fab, Walker, Carr, Landry... they all look lost most plays. And when they don't look lost, they are so fixed on what they are doing (running with a man) they are never making plays.

Either Mattison's gotta find a way to fix that - get them on the same page, more comfortable - or we have to dumb things down. The latter may not be a bad option.

He wasn't a starter here either until Landry got injured. We know how he can play - it's a matter of whether he's able to do it. It's a reasonable question considering the play of the rest of our secondary...

Says you. Leonard shouldn't have been let go. He was a fantastic tackler and had a knack for finding the ball. He was also a decent return man, way better than Carr has been.

A rookie QB, making his 2nd start just shredded Bart, Rex's and Leonhards D up.

Thread Closed, we do not miss Rex, Scott or Leonard

Agreed, somehow a very pointless discussion.

Rex.. We need to develop our defense, and Rex obviously prefered to be a HC. End of discussion.

Leonhard good/average, we have pretty good talent at that position.. Landry, Tom Z, Nakamura and Carr.

Bart Scott, maybe we will be somehow shaky until Gooden, McClain or Ellerbe steps up, all of them younger than Bart.. However same pointless discussion, and Bart loved the money more.

As for our secondary I believe that they first of all just need more games, remember its basically an entire new unit, we should expect improvements later this season. Fab played very few games with Landry last year and Fox is new.

A rookie QB, making his 2nd start just shredded Bart, Rex's and Leonhards D up.

That's great. Our secondary has been shredded four times in five games this year, and the only team who didn't just barely squeaked by Buffalo.

edit: I'm not saying Leonard is the answer to our problems. I'm saying that he is a solid player who should have been retained. Carr is a downgrade from him in every respect.

That's great. Our secondary has been shredded four times in five games this year, and the only team who didn't just barely squeaked by Buffalo.

edit: I'm not saying Leonard is the answer to our problems. I'm saying that he is a solid player who should have been retained. Carr is a downgrade from him in every respect.

One typical Rex D drive against KC, and Brady in New England and less than 300 yds, is hardly a big deal.

Its only against Bolts and Bungles our secondary was terrible, and we did play against teams with good QBs and recievers, not an unproven QB like Henne.. who btw did a good job.

One typical Rex D drive against KC, and Brady in New England and less than 300 yds, is hardly a big deal.

Its only against Bolts and Bungles our secondary was terrible, and we did play against teams with good QBs and recievers, not an unproven QB like Henne.. who btw did a good job.

We're ranked 26th against the pass. Of the 10 TDs we've given up, 6 were passing and 3 were rushing (the other was a turnover). We're also tied with our opponents for ToP, and it's in large part because the defense can't stop the pass and get off the field.

We're not going anywhere with that kind of pass defense.

Our TOP problems also go to an offense that has struggled for 2 straight weeks to establish itself... which has also hurt the defense.

The defense has also been hurt by silly penalties for two straight weeks... three times on the Bengals final drive they were kept alive. Three times NE had drives kept alive on third down by penalties.

The D was all over the place this week... but they were not horrible. They were hurt by issues everywhere... we played like shit top to bottom, you cant point one finger.

Our TOP problems also go to an offense that has struggled for 2 straight weeks to establish itself... which has also hurt the defense.

The defense has also been hurt by silly penalties for two straight weeks... three times on the Bengals final drive they were kept alive. Three times NE had drives kept alive on third down by penalties.

The D was all over the place this week... but they were not horrible. They were hurt by issues everywhere... we played like shit top to bottom, you cant point one finger.

The defense is not entirely to blame, and the secondary is not entirely to blame for the defense's struggles. Our pass rush as been crap as well. You're entirely right that the offense has been a big part of the TOP problem, but that doesn't change the fact that the defense is having real trouble getting off the field.

That said, our problems at CB are not new. How long has CMac been gone? We haven't had anything approaching a shutdown corner since he was last in top form. Even if he does come back this year, Rolle has been done since 2007. Foxworth and Washington can't get it done. Reed might be the greatest safety in the game right now but it doesn't do us a whole lot of good if he's got no help from the corners.

I'll give the run defense a pass on letting Benson get over 100 yards...I can live with allowing a single hundred yard rusher once every few years. 99.9% of the time the defense gets beat it's in the air, and it's one of our garbage corners involved. This is not new.

That's all tangential to the whole Leonard thing. But considering how weak the CBs are, how inconsistent Landry has been, and how worthless Carr has been across the board, letting Leonard go was a mistake.